The term sex, often a shorthand for sexual intercourse, can mean any form of sexual activity. Because people can be at risk of contracting sexually transmitted infections during sexual activities, though the transmission risk is significantly reduced during non-penetrative sex, safe sex practices are advised.
Let’s see some interesting facts about it!
1. One in four men switches the light off during sex.
2. Sex reduces stress. On top of obvious, ahem, physical benefits,research shows that getting busy calms nerves, lowers blood pressure, and reduces stress.
3. It can make you feel better when you’re sick, too. Studies show that arousal and orgasm boost your immune system.
4. Usually, he more sex you have the more you want.
5. Female orgasm is designed to induce pregnancy. The rhythmic pulsating motion of the vaginal walls during female orgasm is designed to push sperm up toward the uterus and into the cervix.
6. Lube makes it easier to orgasm. If you’re having trouble getting off, all your problems might be solved with one simple addition to the bedroom: lube. Nearly 50 percent of men and women who used lube said it made it easier to have an orgasm, according to a study out of Indiana University’s Center for Sexual Health Promotion.
7. The woman’s best friend, her trusty vibrator, was originally invented in the 19th century to reduce ‘hysteria’.
8. Straight men comprise more than half the audience for online transgender porn. A meta-study of one billion online searches for porn concluded that transgender porn is the fourth-most popular form of porn on Earth. And straight men are the primary consumers of it.
9. Female penguins engage in a form of prostitution. Researchers have repeatedly observed female penguins exchanging sexual favors with male penguins that aren’t their mates in exchange for pebbles they will use to build nests for their babies.
10. Lesbians have the most orgasms. Sorry, straight ladies—when it comes to crossing the finish line, lesbians are coming in first. A study that looked at the relationship between sexual orientation and orgasm occurrence found that heterosexual women climaxed 61.6 percent of the time, while homosexual women climaxed 74.7 percent of the time and bisexual women climaxed 58 percent of the time.
11, According to London sex shop Sh! 61% of women find just the idea of buying a sex toy arousing in itself. Could it be the combined power of sex AND shopping? 66% of women would prefer to buy sex toys/erotica from a real shop rather than online revealing that for women, buying a vibe is like buying a handbag; they want to feel the quality.
12. If a female ferret does not have sex for a year, she will die. Thankfully, this is not true for human females whose sexual desires can remain strong, but not strong enough that the anticipation and waiting will cause them to die.
13. Some people are wired to have more sex than others. Scientists are not entirely sure why this is, but it is true in both males and females. Some will want more, while others will want less; it just depends on how their brain is wired.
14. This is one of the weird sex facts that most of us have not heard about before. During intercourse, your inner nose swells just as your breasts and genitals will. This is most notably due to the increased flow of blood while having intercourse.
15. Contrary to what men and women are led to believe, the size of a man’s penis fully erect is not really that important. Besides, the average length of an erect penis is 5.6 inches.
16. Some states are kinkier than others. Wyoming, Alaska, Vermont, West Virginia and Oregon are the top kink-curious states—at least according to what they search on Pornhub. California, surprisingly, came in dead last—but maybe they’re expressing their kink outside their search history.
17. Two-thirds of men and women have fantasized about other people while having sex with their partner. Tonight when you’re having sex with your partner, I want you both to fantasize that the other one is fantasizing about having sex with someone else. It’s the only way to keep some spice in your love life.
18. Ovulating women are more likely to cheat. When that egg’s sitting there just aching to be fertilized, women tend to get a little restless. And if you can’t do the job, well, boy, you’re fired.
19. Love makes for better sex. A recent study presented at the annual meeting of the American Sociological Association found that the most mind-blowing sex comes with being in love with your partner.
20. Hooking up can lead to marriage. You might think that hooking up and settling down are mutually exclusive, but it turns out that one third of married couples were originally a hookup, according to a report from the National Marriage Project.
21. Shaving your pubes makes you more likely to spread a sexually transmitted infection.
22. Since pubic hair acts as a sort of sexual hockey goalie, it is assumed that shaved pubes will also make it more likely for you to receive a sexually transmitted infection.
23. Sex goddess Marilyn Monroe had problems reaching orgasm. After much therapy she called ‘Bingo!’ telling her doctor: “Bless you doctor. Think of a light switch with a rheostat control (dimmer). As you begin to turn it on, the bulb begins to get bright, then brighter, and brighter and finally in a blinding flash is fully lit. It is so good… Doctor, I worship you.”
24. Male testosterone levels and sperm counts are only a quarter of what they were a century ago. Men aren’t what they used to be. In fact, they are literally only a quarter of what they used to be only a century ago.
25. Sex toys are banned in Alabama and Mississippi.
26. Nipplegasms exist. Add this to the list of crazy orgasms you probably can only dream about. But here’s how it works: Nipple stimulation releases oxytocin, which can cause the uterine and vaginal contractions associated with orgasm. This brings more blood flow to the genitals and, for some lucky women, that can mean an orgasm.
27. Four popes have died while having sex. Sure, that means that 262 popes did not die during sex, but these are popes—they’re not supposed to be having sex in the first place.
28. Gay men have bigger penises than straight men. Although straight men tend to be bigger dicks.
29. The bigger his balls, the more likely he is to cheat. If your man has huge testes, the only sane thing to do is get a GPS tracking chip implanted in his body while he’s sleeping—that way you’ll always know where he is.
30. A quarter of penises are slightly bent when erect.
31. Fat men have more sexual endurance than thin men. Multiple studies have confirmed that it takes severely overweight men nearly three times as long to ejaculate as it does those jerky male gym rats who are always asking you to feel their six-packs.
32. You feel less pain during sex. Ever wonder why things like spanking and hair-pulling go from bad pain to good pain when brought into the bedroom? That’s because your pain threshold can increase significantly during arousal, according to a study published in the Journal of Sex Research.
33. One out of every ten European babies is conceived on an IKEA bed.
34. You can induce sex dreams by your sleep position. A study published in Dreaming found that people who slept face down on their stomach with their arms stretched above their head had more sexual dreams—including ones about affairs with celebrities. Bring it on.
35. It may cure your headache. Before reaching for that pain reliever, you might want to try an all-natural approach. One study found that 60 percent of migraine sufferers reported that sex helped ease their pain.
36. Nearly half of men think their willy is too small. But most women are very satisfied with their man’s love muscle.