Read them here!
1. Her full name is Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll.
2. Her nickname is Shaki.
3. Shakira is the youngest of eight siblings.
4. Her father is a Lebanese, while her mother is a Spanish-Italian. Her father’s name is William Mebarak Chadid and mother’s name is Nidia del Carmen Ripoll Torrado.
5. Shakira is Arabic for “grateful” or “full of grace.”
6. Her album “Laundry Service” is her first English Album. It’s been certified 4 times platinum. She named it “Laundry Service” because she loves she feels “clean and fresh”.
7. Pies Descalzos was her third album, which catapulted her to fame in Latin America.
8. She was engaged to Antonio de la Rua, son of the then-president of Argentina.
9. When she was a teenager, she represented Colombia at the Festival Vina del Mar and earned the third place through her own song, “Eres.”
10. Her IQ is 140 and she speaks Spanish, English, Italian, and Portuguese fluently.
11. She is a huge fan of Gloria Estefan and appreciates what she has done for Latin music.
12. Her Lebanese grandmother taught her how to belly dance.
13. Shakira does not have a single tattoo on her body.
14. She is an avid painter and one of her favorite things to paint is fried eggs.
15. She is a huge fan of Gloria Estefan and appreciates what she has done for Latin music.
16. Shakira is Arabic for “grateful” or “full of grace.”
17. If she wasn’t a singer, she would like to be a psychologist or an astronomer.
18. When she was two years old her oldest half-brother died in an accident while he was riding a motorcycle and a drunk man hit him with his car.
19. She is immortalized with a 5-meter (16-foot) iron statue in her home city on Colombia’s Caribbean coast.
20. Teamed up with fellow Colombian author Gabriel Garcia Marquez to launch a child poverty foundation, “America Latina en Accion Solidaria” or Latin America in Solidarity Action, aimed at fighting poverty in Latin America (December 2006).
21. She performs barefoot at most of her concerts.
22. Her confidence is outstanding: “My brain, I believe, is the most beautiful part of my body.”
23. She has 28 Billboard Latin Music Awards, amongst so many other awards…28!!!
24. In 2010 she was awarded a medal by the U.N. International Labor Organization for her work with children.
25. She’s a HUGE fan of Bollywood movies and music.
26. She was three months pregnant with her son Milan when she recorded her last studio album.
27. She announced her relationship with Spanish soccer star Gerard Pique, in 2011.
28. The couple welcomed their first son, Milan Piqué Mebarak, on January 22, 2013 and their second son, Sasha Pique Mebarak, on January 29, 2015.
29. Her song “Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)” received over 500 million views and became the seventh most-watched video on YouTube.
30. She wrote a song called “Come Down Love,” which appeared in the remake of The Italian Job, starring Charlize Theron.