Learn them here!
1. Laura Jean Reese Witherspoon was born March 22, 1976 in New Orleans.
2. She collects antique linens and embroidery.
3. She was selected to become a fashion model for a florist television advertisement at age seven.
4. She attended the prestigious Harpeth Hall School For Girls where she excelled. Her parents nicknamed her “Little Miss Type A” in reference to her being highly driven and it was her childhood nickname.
5. She voiced the lead character Susan Murphy, aka Ginormica, in the 2009 animated feature Monsters vs. Aliens.
6. She is a descendant of John Witherspoon, one of the 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence.
7. A little known fact about Reese Witherspoon is that “Reese” is actually her mother’s maiden name.
8. By the time Reese was thirteen, she was doing television ads for companies like Ames and Opryland.
9. Her father was a lieutenant colonel in the US Army, the family- mother Betty, brother John Junior and her, spent her first four birthdays living in Wiesbaden, Germany.
10. Reese was the first to host Saturday Night Live following the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.
11. Both her parents trained in the medical profession. Her father was an otolaryngologist while her mother was a paediatric nurse and professor of nursing. When they moved back to the States, they lived in Nashville, Tennessee.
12. At the Oscars, when Witherspoon and Phillippe present an award, Phillippe handed the envelope to her and cracks, “You make more money than I do. Go ahead.” The remark sparked rumors of jealousy.
13. ‘The Man in the Moon’ was Reese Witherspoon’s film debut, she got the part answering an open casting call in Nashville, Tennessee for extras, but landed the lead.
14. Grossing a surprise $140 million, the film Legally Blonde catapults Witherspoon to leading-lady status. The 2003 sequel, Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde, earns the star a $15 million paycheck.
15. She starred with Vince Vaughn in the 2007 film Four Christmases.
16. She starred as the sister to Rachel (Jennifer Aniston) in two episodes of Friends in 2000.
17. “Vanity Fair” director Mira Nair told Reese Witherspoon to get pregnant for her role as a joke because the actress was so slim, but during production, Witherspoon announced she was expecting.
18. She married Ryan Phillippe in June of 1999, and the couple welcomed their first daughter Ava in September of 1999 and also had a son named Deacon.
19. She divorced Phillippe in 2007 and married Jim Toth in 2011. She and Toth have a son named Tennessee.
20. She named her son after ex-Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher Deacon Phillippe, a relative of Ryan.
21. She was named one of People magazine’s 50 Most Beautiful People in 2002.
22. Shoe designer Jimmy Choo made 63 pairs of shoes out of man-made materials for ‘Legally Blonde 2: Red, White and Blonde,’ in order to be animal-friendly. Witherspoon asked to keep all of the shoes and designer clothing she wore in the film.
23. Witherspoon is the second actress to win the best actress Oscar for portraying a female singer in a biography – the first was Sissy Spacek for ‘Coal Miner’s Daughter.’
24. Reese Witherspoon is one of eight actresses to have won the Academy Award, BAFTA Award, Critics’ Choice Award, Golden Globe Award and SAG Award for the same performance. The others in chronological order are Julia Roberts for ‘Erin Brockovich,’ Renee Zellweger for ‘Cold Mountain,’ Helen Mirren for ‘The Queen,’ Jennifer Hudson for ‘Dreamgirls,’ Kate Winslet for ‘The Reader,’ Mo’Nique for ‘Precious’ and Natalie Portman for ‘Black Swan.’
25. In her acceptance speech for the Oscar for ‘Best Actress’ in 2005, she singled out her grandmother as being “one of the biggest inspirations in [her] life”.