Read them here!
1. When he was 12, his mother gave him a guitar. After playing in several garage bands, the future actor dropped out of high school to pursue music.
2. He was born John Christopher Depp in Owensboro, Kentucky, on June 9, 1963.
3. His father is John Christopher Depp, a civil engineer and his mother is Betty Sue Palmer (née Wells), a waitress. Johnny is the youngest of 4 children.
4. He dropped out of school at age 15 in the hopes of becoming a rock musician.
5. He co-owned a nightclub in LA called The Viper Room which opened in 1993. It was outside this club that River Phoenix died from collapsed and died of drug-induced heart failure on the sidewalk.
6. Johnny did odd jobs here and there to make ends meet while he pursued his music career. He was even a pen salesman for some time.
7. He has twice been named the “Sexiest Man Alive” by People magazine in 2003 and 2009.
8. Johnny fronted a series of garage bands including The Kids, which once opened for Iggy Pop.
9. His first acting role was in Wes Craven’s 1984 classic “A Nightmare on Elm Street.”
10. He got married for the first time in 1983 to Lori Anne Allison, the sister of his band’s bass player and singer. She was a makeup artist. Depp and Lori were divorced two years later but he didn’t stay single for long. He got engaged to Jennifer Grey which later fell through and then got engaged to actress Sherilyn Fenn.
11. He won a Golden Globe in 2008 for his role in “Sweeney Todd.”
12. He has been nominated for the Best Actor Oscar three times, for “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street” (2007), “Finding Neverland” (2004), and “Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl” (2003).
13. Depp collaborated with the band Rock City Angels and co-wrote their song “Mary”.
14. Despite several critically acclaimed roles, the actor has never won an Oscar.
15. We have Nicolas Cage to thank for his acting career! He got into acting after a visit to Los Angeles, California, with his former wife, Lori who introduced him to actor. Nicolas advised him to pursue acting instead of music.
16. As a young child, his parents moved around a lot and he lived in 20 different cities before his parents settled down in n Miramar, Florida, in 1970.
17. When Cage fell into financial trouble in 2007, Depp reportedly offered to pay off his debt as a way to say thank you for kickstarting his career.
18. He was even listed in the 2012 Guinness Book of World Records as the highest paid actor, netting a total of $75 million in 2011.
19. Depp’s most financially successful films have been the “Pirates of the Caribbean” franchise and “Alice in Wonderland,” which have grossed $3 billion and $1 billion, respectively.
20. His parents divorced when he was young and he had family problems. As a way to deal with the pain, he began to cut himself which resulted in self-inflicted scars which he still has today. In a 1993 interview, he reflected on this by saying “My body is a journal in a way. It’s like what sailors used to do, where every tattoo meant something, a specific time in your life when you make a mark on yourself, whether you do it yourself with a knife or with a professional tattoo artist”.
21. Despite five (known) engagements, Depp has only been married one time. He was wed to Lori Anne Allison in 1983 and later divorced in 1985.
22. Depp has been dating actress and model Amber Heard since 2012 after the pair met on the set of the film The Rum Diary.The couple became engaged on Christmas Eve in 2013.
23. In 2003, he starred as the flamboyant pirate Jack Sparrow in 2003’s Pirates of the Caribbean. He admitted in an interview that his inspiration for this role was Keith Richards.
24. He got in trouble in 2003 after saying “America is dumb, is something like a dumb puppy that has big teeth-that can bite and hurt you, aggressive.” to Germany’s Stern magazine. He later said they had taken his comments out of context.
25. He was arrested in 1998 after fighting with paparazzi who were following him while he was on a date with Vanessa.
26. In 1990, the actor also became engaged to his “Edward Scissorhands” co-star Winona Ryder.
27. He even got a tattoo — “Winona Forever” — to commemorate their love. Following their breakup, Depp altered the ink to read “Wino Forever.”
28. With over a dozen tattoos, Depp has said his “body is a journal in a way. It’s like what sailors used to do, where every tattoo meant something…”
29. Following his relationship with Moss, he settled down with French singer and actress Vanessa Paradis from 1998 to 2012. Although they never married, the couple have two children together, Lily-Rose Melody and John “Jack” Christopher
30. Don’t ask him to dance! He fears dancing more than anything in the world and has never danced in real life. He’s only danced as a character in a movie with a choreographed routine.