Read here 20 fun facts about the movie “Edward Scissorhands”!
1. Edward only says 169 words in the film.
2. Gary Oldman, Tom Cruise, Jim Carrey, and Robert Downey Jr. were all considered for the role of Edward. Michael Jackson was rumored to be in the running as well.
3. Depp reportedly had to lose 25 pounds to play Edward.
4. Edward’s hair is based on the style of Cure frontman Robert Smith.
5. When Peg is answering the phone call on her bed, she has Avon products on her bedside table, implying that she uses them herself as well as selling them.
6. Some of the topiary that Edward makes in the movie can be seen permanently at the New York City restaurant, Tavern On the Green. But they aren’t real. They’re all welded steel armature wrapped with chicken wire, and artificial greens punched in.
7. The cookie cutter look of the neighborhood is based on co-writer/director Tim Burton’s hometown of Burbank, California. The houses used in the film are a real community in Florida, completely unchanged except for their exterior paint. The pastel palette used is intended to look like a “faded circus.”
8. Drew Barrymore was considered for the role of Kim Boggs, which would go to Ryder.
9. Winona Ryder dropped out of The Godfather: Part III to appear in the film. Supposedly, her boyfriend, Depp, convinced her to do so.
10. The first draft of the film was written as a musical, a concept Burton would revisit for The Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride.
11. Depp refused any cooling agent while in his all-leather costume.
12. Depp refused any cooling agent while in his all-leather costume.
13. Depp has stated he cried like a baby when he first read the script.
14. The mother character, Peg, is based on co-writer Caroline Thompson’s mom, who used to bring home strangers. She wrote the 70 page screenplay in three weeks.
15. The restaurant seen in the film is a closed down “Sambo’s.” The production design team gutted it and remade it into a working eatery.
16. The role of The Inventor was written specifically for Vincent Price. It was intended to be larger, but the veteran actor was ill with emphysema and Parkinson’s disease so his scenes were kept to a minimum. It was his final feature film.
17. The entire story is meant to be seen through Edward’s eyes, which is why the neighborhood looks so “fantastical.”
18. Burton asked Robert Smith to compose the soundtrack and sent him the script. But Smith was recording Disintegration at the time with The Cure and didn’t know who Burton was. He passed, and the opportunity went to frequent Burton collaborator Danny Elfman.
19. Depp had worked with a sharp-handed character before. His first film was A Nightmare on Elm Street.
20. The cast includes two Oscar winners: Dianne Wiest and Alan Arkin. And also two nominees: Depp and Ryder.