The Nokia 3310 is one of Nokia’s most iconic devices and one of the most succesful phones worldwide. Let’s see some amazing facts and trivia about it!
1.The Nokia 3310 is a GSM mobile phone announced on September 1, 2000and released in the fourth quarter of the year, replacing the popular Nokia 3210.
2. Several variants of the 3310 have been released, including the Nokia 3315, 3320, 3330, 3350, 3360, 3390 and 3395.
3. The 3310 is known for having many features that were rare for the time. These include many utilities, such as a calculator, Nokia network monitor, stop watch and a reminder function.
4. It has four games: Pairs II, Space Impact, Bantumi, and the hugely popular Snake II.
5. The Snake series of games had been popular on Nokia handsets since the late 1990s.
6. CNET remembered Space Impact, a shoot ’em up in which the player fires projectiles at oncoming aliens, as a mediocre game overall but impressive for fitting a mobile device with its complexity and length. It was later recreated for other mobile devices.
7. The Telegraph said that the phone was remembered for its games.
8. The 3310 was popular for SMS text messaging because it allowed long messages three times the size of a standard SMS text message, at 459 characters.
9. It also featured threaded SMS writing and SMS Chat.
10. The phone also has voice dialing for the quick dialing of selected number.
11. The Nokia 3310 can be customized with interchangeable Xpress-On covers, and thousands of different designs have been produced by various companies
12. It also has over 35 ringtones built-in with space for seven custom tones. These can either be downloaded, or composed by the user on the handset.
13. The phone has various “profiles” that can set a number of preferences such as silent mode where the phone will not ring, useful for situations where it is inappropriate to do so. Screensavers can be made from received picture messages.
14. In November 2015, the Nokia 3310 was chosen as one of the first three “National Emojis” for Finland. The emoji is referred as “The Unbreakable”, as the phone was known for its toughness and durability
15. On February 9, 2017, The Sun posted an article about a man from Yorkshire, United Kingdom who purchased his Nokia 3310 in 2000 (17 years ago) and has used it ever since, noting that he does not want a newer phone
16. Nokia 3310 was also known for his long lasting battery life. The phone gave a whopping 55-hour to 245- hour life battery!
17. Though, it is best known for being indestructible! Perhaps it was the only time in mobile history where users fed their concreet floors more than the phone if it dropped!
18. Nokia 3310 was a phenomenal success worldwide, selling nearly a 126 million units in his debut year. While, for example, iphone made 25 million sales.
19. There are two North American variants of the 3310; one is the Nokia 3390, which operates on GSM 1900. The Nokia 3395 is an updated version of the 3390 which includes the additional features of the Asian 3315 model, and it has poor reception if you are in a GSM 850 area
20. On 14 February 2017, it was reported that a revived version of the 3310 would be unveiled at the 2017 Mobile World Congress in Barcelona by HMD Global Oy, the Finnish manufacturer with rights to market phones under the Nokia brand, with the price point of 49 euros.