Alexa is an intelligent personal assistant developed by Amazon, first used in the Amazon Echo and the Amazon Echo Dot devices developed by Amazon Lab126. It is capable of voice interaction, music playback, making to-do lists, setting alarms, streaming podcasts, playing audiobooks, and providing weather, traffic, and other real time information, such as news. Alexa can also control several smart devices using itself as a home automation system. See what else she can do!
1. You can plan a vacation by simply asking! Even if you’re on a budget! If you have a Kayak account, you can enable Alexa to help you plan a trip. This skill can track flights and check prices. You can even tell it your budget, and Kayak Explore will tell you where in the world you can go. To activate it, say “Alexa, ask Kayak where I can go for $500.”
2. You can hands-free text message! You have to complete a couple of steps to set up the SMS with the Molly skill. First, register at smswithmolly.com, and then enable the feature. But it lets you upload your favorite contacts, with unique first names. Then, you merely say, “Alexa, ask SMS with Molly to send ‘I’ll be late,’ to Lauren.”
3. Alexa can actually be your very personal wine sommelier! She has the ability to offer recommendations based on what you are eating. This skill, which you enable by name, comes with hundreds of recommendations on what goes with everything from bacon to goat cheese. To activate it, say “Alexa, ask Wine Gal to recommend a wine for a pepperoni pizza.”
4. You can now order pizza without even getting up off your couch! Just set up an Easy Order and enable the Domino’s Pizza skill. Then, when you say, “Alexa, open Domino’s and place my Easy Order,” you can rest assured your food will be on its way. The skill can also tell you where the food is in the process using the Domino’s Tracker updates. There’s also a Pizza Hut skill, too.
5. If you lose your board game manual, no worries! Alexa has all the game rules to any board game! Enabling the Board Game Answers skill lets Alexa remind you of how to play tons of your favorite games, including Monopoly and Pandemic. Simply say, “Alexa, ask Board Games who goes first in Scrabble.” Debate over.
6. Her Trivia is beyond comprehension! You can ask her questions about absolutely everything and she’ll answer correctly!
7. You can stream music throughout your house simultaneously! Look out Sonos: If you have multiple Echo devices connected to your home Wi-Fi network, you can group them in the Alexa app, and have them all stream the same music simultaneously. In the Alexa app, go to the Multi-Room Music section in the Settings menu, and follow the directions. You’ll also need either a Prime Music or Amazon Music Unlimited; if you have the latter, you’ll also need to subscribe to the Family Plan.
8. If you’re into the stock market, forget the ticker symbols. This skill lets you ask for a company, by name, to get the current stock price, as well as how much it’s changed percentage-wise.
Invocations: “Alexa, ask Opening Bell for Apple” (or Microsoft, Google, Tesla, or any publicly traded company)
9. The total number of skills available on Amazon Alexa are precisely 15.000!
10. Alexa’s most popular skill is setting a timer!
What did you think? Want an Alexa of your own? Check out this awesome offer!
Amazon Echo (2nd generation), Charcoal Fabric
- Amazon Echo connects to Alexa-a cloud-based voice service-to play music, make calls, set alarms and timers, ask questions, check your calendar, weather, traffic and sports scores, manage to-do and shopping lists, control compatible smart home devices, and more.
- Just ask for a song, artist or genre from Amazon Music, Spotify, TuneIn and more. With multi-room music, you can play music on Echo devices in different rooms, available for Amazon Music, TuneIn and Spotify (coming soon); Bluetooth not supported. Echo can also play audiobooks, radio stations, news briefings and more.
- Call or message anyone hands-free who also has an Echo device or the Alexa App. Also, quickly connect to other Echo devices in your home using just your voice.
- New speaker with Dolby processing that fills the room with immersive, 360° omnidirectional audio, and delivers crisp vocals, deep bass, and clear highs at louder volumes.
- With seven microphones, beam-forming technology and noise cancellation, Echo hears you from any direction-even while music is playing.
- Just ask Alexa to control your compatible smart lights, switches, TVs, thermostats and more
- Alexa is always getting smarter and adding new features and skills. Just ask Alexa to request an Uber, order a pizza, get train times, and more.
- RRP: £89.99
Deal Price: £69.99