Read them in the following list!
1. His full name is David Robert Joseph Beckham.
2. David Beckham’s favorite class in elementary school was art.
3. When he was 11, he won the coveted Bobby Charlton Soccer Schools National Skills competition. The win earned Beckham a trip to Barcelona, where he drew the attention of a Manchester United soccer talent scout.
4. Beckham was born on May 2, 1975 in London, England.
5. David Beckham is six-feet tall and weighs 163 lbs.
6. He suffers from obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). Everything has to be strictly organized and, if possible, in pairs.
7. Beckham has supported UNICEF since his days at Manchester United and in January 2005, the English national team captain became a Goodwill Ambassador with a special focus on UNICEF’s Sports for Development program.
8. Beckham makes a cameo appearance with Zinedine Zidane and Raúl, in the 2005 film Goal!: The Dream Begins.
9. David & Victoria Beckham’s sons are being trained as ‘bodyguards’ for their little sister. The youngest, Cruz has been practicing Taekwondo, Brooklyn is interested in boxing, and the oldest, Romeo, does karate. They are preparing early so that when Harper is older, “they will all be ready,” David says.
10. Despite failing to retain the Premier League title in 1998, Beckham was named to England’s World Cup squad, and he signed a five-year, $12.5 million contract with Manchester United.
11. In April 2004, the British tabloid News of the World carried claims by Beckham’s former personal assistant Rebecca Loos that he and Loos had an extramarital affair. A week later, the Malaysian-born Australian model Sarah Marbeck claimed that she had slept with Beckham on two occasions. Beckham dismissed both accusations as “ludicrous”.
12. Beckham’s 1998 World Cup experience became a turning point in his career during a match against Argentina. He was given a red card (which means expulsion from the game) for kicking Argentina’s Diego Simeone just minutes into the second half with the score tied 2-2. Argentina went on to win on penalty kicks, eliminating England in the second round.He was met with criticism from the media and the public upon returning home. Beckham was not immune to the constant criticism, and publicly apologized, saying, according to Sports Illustrated, “I will always regret my actions. I want every fan to know how deeply sorry I am.”
13. Manchester United won the Premier League championship both in 1996 and 1997. In 1997 Beckham was voted the Young Player of the Year and finished second in voting for the overall Player of the Year award.
14. David Beckham and his family moved to Los Angeles after he signed an enormous five year $250 million contract to play for the LA Galaxy of the MLS. But his injuries subsisted and he missed quite a few games with the Galaxy at the start of his contract. By the time he was healed and ready to play, it seemed like it was already too late. Despite scoring a goal and assisting his American teammate Landon Donovan, the Galaxy failed to qualify for the end of season playoffs.
15. David Beckham was searched for more than any other sports topic on Google in 2003 and 2004.
16. At the age of only 16, he dropped out of school and began playing for Manchester United’s junior team. He played his first pro game for Manchester two years later when he was only 18 years old. He was slowly growing a reputation for his ability to execute free kicks and score goals, often times in sensational fashion or at critical moments of the game.
17. Beckham reached super fame when he began dating Victoria “Posh Spice” Adams in 1997. The couple became tabloid royalty and were often seen out wearing matching designer outfits. He married her on July 4, 1999.
18. He has three sons named Romeo, Cruz and Brooklyn and a daughter named Harper.
19. As his career began to fade, Cristiano Ronaldo began to take over the reigns as the world’s top soccer player.
20. The wedding of “Posh and Becks” two years later garnered breathless international coverage. The daylong gala reportedly cost $800,000. Adams wore a diamond-encrusted crown, and Beckham wore an ivory suit. Beckham and Adams appeared at the end of the affair in matching purple outfits. The couple sold the pictures of their wedding to OK! magazine for $2.2 million.
21. Tom Cruise hosted a “Welcome to L.A.” party for the couple after Beckham joined the Galaxy in 2007.
22. He has a movie named after him. In 2002, a film based on Beckham’s world-renowned football skills, ‘Bend it like Beckham’ was released. Beckham and his wife had wanted to make cameo appearances in the film, but due to scheduling conflicts, they were unable to. Beckham says that he was not planning to join the acting scene because he believes himself to be “too stiff”.
23. Beckham’s life on and off the field have inspired so much curiosity in England that Staffordshire University began offering a twelve-week course on Beckham and the sociological implication of his career. The course is founded on the presupposition that Beckham’s 1998 World Cup mishap defined an era in England similar to the way the assassination of John F. Kennedy did in the United States.
24. David Beckham has played for Manchester United, England, Real Madrid, the L.A. Galaxy and with Paris Saint-Germain. Interestingly, he will not be earning anything during his contract with the Paris Saint-Germain team, as he will be donating his entire salary to charity (photo courtesy: Paris Saint-Germain).
25. David and Victoria purchased a home in Beverly Hills for $22 million. Their neighbors include Jay Leno and Tom Cruise.
26. In 2003 he signed a $160 million lifetime contract with Adidas, earning nearly half the money upfront and will continue to earn percentages of profits on all of his branded Adidas products. He had a 10 year collaboration with Pepsi Co. that expired in 2009.
27. Within 48 hours of David Beckham signing with the team, the Galaxy sold more than 5,000 season tickets.
28. In 1999, David and Victoria Beckham purchased their most famous home in Hertfordshire, unofficially dubbed Beckingham Palace, estimated to be worth £7.5 million.
29. In 2002, David helped England advance to the quarter-finals of the World Cup in South Korea and Japan. Unfortunately, David and his team lost to Brazil that year.
30. In 2003, David was transferred to Real Madrid in Spain for a mind-boggling $40 million. However, while there, he suffered several sports-related injuries which made it very hard for him to play at his top level. When he went to play for Real Madrid, David had to choose a new jersey number. His old number, #7, was already taken. He chose #23 because it was Michael Jordan’s number.
31. David Beckham surprised his wife Victoria with an outrageous gift, her own winery in Napa. Both the lovebirds have a passion for wine and Beckham was more than happy to pay a significant amount for the gift. The winery is only open to close friends and family.
32. In 2002, a film based on Beckham’s world-renowned football skills, ‘Bend it like Beckham’ was released. Beckham and his wife had wanted to make cameo appearances in the film, but due to scheduling conflicts, they were unable to. Beckham says that he was not planning to join the acting scene because he believes himself to be “too stiff”.
33. Elton John is godfather to Brooklyn and Romeo Beckham; their godmother is Elizabeth Hurley.
34. Beckham captained England 59 times,the fourth highest after Bobby Moore (90), Billy Wright (90) and Bryan Robson (65).
35. Beckham’s 115 appearances for England are the most for a player other a goalkeeper, and he was captain of the Three Lions from 2001-06.
36. As part of Beckham’s marketing campaign with H&M, six 10-foot statues of the soccer star in his underwear were installed in New York City; others were installed in Los Angeles and San Francisco.
37. Beckham is consistently ranked among the sport’s highest earners, in 2013 he was listed as the best paid player in the world, earning over $50 million in the previous 12 months.
38. On 17 January 2007, Rebecca Johnstone, a 19-year-old cancer patient from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, received a surprise phone call from Beckham. After the conversation, he sent her a Real Madrid jersey with his signature on it. Rebecca died on 29 January 2007.
39. Some other endorsements include Armani, Diet Coke, Burger King and Samsung, which in 2012 earned him $27.7 million.
40. David Beckham’s net worth is $350 million.
41. Beckham loves spending time with his children, but unfortunately, due to his career moves, including to Paris, he will be spending far less time with them. The couple will be living separately for the first time in years when he plays in Paris. Victoria sees this as a way for the couple to put a ‘spark’ back in their marriage. Victoria is looking forward to a romantic Parisian rendez-vous with her husband.
42. After moving to Paris to train with his new team Paris St-Germain, Beckham began to freshen up his French skills with weekly lessons. Learning the language, Beckham says, will help make his stay in Paris a more enjoyable one.
43. He has his own fragrance called Homme by David Beckham.
44. By 2013, Beckham had become credited as England’s wealthiest sportsman, reportedly earning more than $46 million annually.
45. In February 2014, MLS announced Beckham and a group of investors would own an expansion team in Miami, which would begin play in 2016 or 2017.
46. For their 13th wedding anniversary (Victoria & David Beckham married on 4 July 1999), Beckham planned to make his wife a self-written love book as a memo. He also rented out a US$ 27,000,000 Malibu pad for the couple to spend some time together.
47. Beckham takes his work seriously, at all levels. After moving to Paris to train with his new team Paris St-Germain, Beckham began to freshen up his French skills with weekly lessons. Learning the language, Beckham says, will help make his stay in Paris a more enjoyable one.
48. Although seemingly impossible, if Beckham was not successful in football, he says he would have become an artist. He enjoys drawing cartoons, and so David Beckham says, “I would go for an artist.”
49. David Beckham, a world famous football player, is the only English player to score in three world cups, all against South American teams, Colombia, Argentina and Ecuador. His free kick goals have also earned him fame, as he is the fifth player to score twice from a direct free kick in a Football World Cup game.
50. Victoria, a singer and fashion designer, was previously known as Posh Spice of the famous pop group, The Spice Girls. Her designer wear, which she debuted in 2008, has proved quite successful and her lines have been featured in many fashion shows, including the acclaimed New York Fashion Week. In February 2013 the BBC Radio 4 station, Woman’s Hours acknowledged her one of the 100 most powerful women in the UK.