Read them here!
1. Cox was born and raised in Mountain Brook, Alabama, a suburb of Birmingham.
2. She is best identified for her roles as Monica Geller on the NBC sitcom Friends, Gale Weathers in the horror series Scream, and as Jules Cobb in the ABC/TBS sitcom Cougar Town, for which she earned her first Golden Globe nomination.
3. Courteney attended Mountain Brook High School in Alabama.
4. In 1997, Courteney was voted Best Dressed Female Television Star.
5. Courteney can play the drums and the piano.
6. Even before they became a couple on the show, Cox said that if Monica had to “do” a Friend, she would choose Chandler. In the Elle profile from 1997, Cox was asked “if Monica had to ‘do’ another Friend, which would it be?” Her answer? “Chandler,” because in her mind, the character’s sarcastic bite was similar to Monica’s. The two characters eventually hooked up during the Season 4 finale in London, almost exactly a year after the quote was published.
7. Courteney’s first ever movie was Masters of the Universe in 1987.
8. Cox was a neat freak just like Monica and would clean the others’ dressing rooms. “Let’s face it, she’s adorable and intelligent and really together. She is Monica,” show co-creator Marta Kauffman told the Los Angeles Times in 1995. “She has the neatest dressing room. She even cleans up the other actors’ dressing rooms because she won’t go in there if they are too messy.”
9. Courteney appeared in two of NBC’s public service announcements, The More You Know. Her topics were violence prevention and designated drivers.
10. Cox had a special place called “Courteney’s Candy Cabinet” on the “Friends” set. A Natural Living Today story from 1996 claimed Cox was “once famous for scarfing down junk food from an on-set cache called ‘Courteney Candy Cabinet.'” Butterfingers were a particular favorite. Us Weekly’s cover story from the same year claimed that Cox was “addicted to candy bars.” The actress proudly stated, “my first choice would be a Butterfinger.”
11. Cox also starred in the FX series Dirt.
12. Courteney was pregnant during the filming of the final season of Friends.
13. Courteney has brown hair and blue eyes.
14. During her senior year, Courteney got her first modeling gig in an advertisement for a store called Parisians.
15. Courteney received $32,300 of bed linen as a housewarming gift from Jennifer Aniston..
16. Courteney was in all three Scream movies playing news reporter, Gale Weathers.
17. She owns a production company, called Coquette Productions, which was created by her and her then-husband David Arquette.
18. Courteney raises awareness for the skin disease epidomolysis bullosa. She has designed an eye shadow palette — Coco for Cargo Cosmetics. All profits will go to research, and hopefully find prevention for this disease.
19. Cox also worked as a director on her sitcom Cougar Town and the television movie Talhotblond.
20. Courteney bought the moving bookcase which appears in the movie Scream 3.
21. Courteney’s nickname is CeCe.
22. She has two older sisters, Virginia and Dottie, and an older brother, Richard, Jr.
23. Courteney’s height is 5’5″.
24. Courteney’s parents are Richard and Courteney Cox. She has two older sisters, Virginia and Dottie, and an older brother Richard.
25. On Friends, Courteney was originally cast the part of ‘Rachel Green’ but the writers and producers thought the part of ‘Monica Gellar’ would suit her better.
26. Courteney’s daughter’s godmother is Friends co-star Jennifer Aniston.
27. Her parents divorced in 1974 and her mother then married businessman Hunter Copeland (uncle to music promoter and business manager Ian Copeland).
28. Courteney shared a Screen Actors Guild award with the rest of the cast of Friends for Outstanding Ensemble Performance in a Comedy series in 1996. They were nominated six straight years from 1999-2004, all without a win.
29. In different years, Courteney was married on June 12, gave birth on June 13, and born on June 15.
30. Courteney was the best known cast member of the hit TV show Friends when it began its 10 year run.
31. After graduating from Mountain Brook High School, Cox left for Mount Vernon College in Washington, D.C., but did not complete her architecture course, opting instead to pursue a career in modeling and acting.
32. Despite the fact that she’s the only cast member of Friends without an Emmy nomination, Courteney has had four box office hits: the trilogy Scream and the 1994 film Ace Ventura.
33. In 1997 and 1998 she was listed at number 9 in FHM’s 100 sexiest women list (readers’ choice).
34. Courteney announced her pregnancy in January 2004, two months after David Arquette’s brother Alexis broke the news on The Sharon Osbourne Show. The couple wanted to keep the news quiet because Courteney had several miscarriages.
35. Courteney is the girl that Bruce Springsteen picked up to dance with during the “Dancing in the Dark” video. Her second appearance in a videoclip was in the Counting Crows’ “Long December”. She was paid $350.
36. Courteney has two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, named Hopper and Harley. Hopper is tri-color (red, white, and black), while Harley is red and white. Cavaliers are known for their friendly, trusting nature.
37. Courteney’s daughter’s name is Coco Riley Arquette.
38. Courteney starred in Family Ties as Michael J. Fox’s girlfriend Lauren.
39. She identifies as Irish-American.
40. Courteney had laser eye surgery.
41. Cox dated actor Michael Keaton from 1990-95. She married actor David Arquette on June 12, 1999, and the couple welcomed a baby girl, Coco, in June 2004. After separating in 2010, the couple filed for divorce in 2012.
42. She studied architecture for a year at Mount Vernon College, but soon dropped out to pursue a modeling career in New York City. That pursuit led to small roles in film and on television.
43. As a child, she was an avid swimmer and tennis player.
44. Cox began dating Snow Patrol band member Johnny McDaid in late 2013. The couple announced their engagement on Twitter on June 26, 2014. On November 28, 2015 it was announced that the couple had split up and called off their engagement.
45. In 1995, she was cast in Toad the Wet Sprocket’s music video “Good Intentions”. The song is also on the Friends Soundtrack.
46. She appeared on a commercial for Tampax and became the first person to use the term “period” on TV.
47. David Arquette proposed to Courteney in Panama City, FL, in front of Courteney’s entire family.
48. Courteney appears on the cover of the December issue of Details magazine as “America’s Scream Girl.”
- 40 interesting facts about Matthew Perry! (List)
- 20 amazing facts about Monica and Chandler from “Friends”! (List)