James Dean, the famous American actor, was a cultural icon of teenage disillusionment, mainly expressed through the film ‘Rebel Without a Cause’ (1955), in which he starred as troubled Los Angeles teenager Jim Stark.
Dean had an intense life and died extremely young at the age of 24 after a car crash, which cemented his legendary status.
Five quotes of him are the following ones:
- “The only greatness for man is immortality”
- “There is no way to be truly great in this world. We are all impaled on the crook of conditioning”
- “The gratification comes in the doing, not in the results”
- “If a man can bridge the gap between life and death, if he can live on after he’s dead, then maybe he was a great man”
- “Only the gentle are ever really strong”