Corey Haim was a Canadian actor, known for a 1980s Hollywood career as a teen idol. He starred in a number of films, such as Lucas, Silver Bullet, Murphy’s Romance, License to Drive, Dream a Little Dream, and Snowboard Academy. His best-known role was alongside Corey Feldman in The Lost Boys, which made Haim a household name.
1. His full name was Corey Ian Haim.
2. He was born on December 23, 1971.
3. Haim was born in Toronto, Ontario.
4. His parents were Judy, an Israeli-born data processor, and Bernie Haim, who worked in sales.
5. When Haim was 11, his parents divorced after 18 years of marriage.
6. He had an older sister, Carol, and a younger half-brother, Daniel Lee, from his father’s second marriage.
7. Haim was Jewish.
8. His favorite actress was Cybill Shepherd and his favorite actor James Dean.
9. Growing up in Willowdale, Toronto, he was enrolled in drama lessons in improvisation and mime by his mother to help him overcome his shyness, and accidentally fell into the film industry after accompanying Carol to her auditions
10. He also participated in other activities, such as ice hockey, playing music on his keyboard and collecting comic books.
11. His skills on the ice led to his being scouted for the AA Thunderbirds hockey team.
12. He got his first role at the age of 10 as Larry in the Canadian children’s educational comedy television series The Edison Twins, which ran from 1982 until 1986.
13. In early years, his mouth was mostly always open. It was known as his trademark.
14. In 2004, he became the subject of a single by the Irish band The Thrills titled “Whatever Happened To Corey Haim?”.
15. Haim never married or had any children. He was involved with Alyssa Milano from 1987 to 1990. Milano and her parents, together with his manager at the time, unsuccessfully tried to get Haim help for his addiction.
16. At one point he did not leave his apartment for three and a half years and ballooned from 150 to 302 pounds. He reflected on his weight gain as having “an addiction to pretty much everything”.
17. He and Corey Feldman were known as the Two Coreys at the peak of their careers in the 1980s.
18. He was in a relationship with Victoria Beckham in 1995, which ended on mutual terms.
19. After falling into a drug increased coma, he was hospitalized for several weeks but found himself unable to support his medical bills. So he took to the internet and began to sell tufts of his hair on Amazon and even an extracted molar which reached 150$ before being pulled from the listings in line with eBay’s restrictions on the sale of body parts.
20. He was addicted to a huge variety of pills but mostly valium.
21. Haim nearly went broke after he pulled out of the film Paradise Bar in 1996. He was sued by Lloyd’s of London for $375,000 for failing to disclose his drug addiction as a pre-existing medical condition on the insurance form. Haim filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in July 1997. According to the bankruptcy report, he owed $100,000 to the IRS, and had $100,000 in outstanding debts. His listed assets included $100 in cash, the red 1987 Alfa Romeo Spider featured in Corey Haim: Me, Myself, and I, $750 worth of clothing, a $31,000 pension fund, and royalty rights worth $7,500.
22. He had allegedly been molested by Charlie Sheen at 13 years of age.
23. His friend, Corey Feldman said that Haim had died “very destitute” and alone.
24. He died on March 10, 2010.
25. Los Angeles police stated that his death appeared to be an accidental overdose although no fewer than four different bottles containing Valium, Vicodin, Soma, and Haloperidol were retrieved.