Shailene Woodley is an American actress.
Let’s find out some intriguing facts about her!
1. Shailene Diann Woodley was born November 15, 1991 in San Bernardino County, California but grew up in Simi Valley, California.
2. Her mother, Lori, is a school counselor, and her father, Lonnie Woodley, is a school principal.
3. She also has a younger brother.
4. At the age of fifteen, she was diagnosed with scoliosis and was put in a chest-to-hips plastic brace to stop her spine from curving further.
5. Woodley attended Simi Valley High School and modeled at the age of four.
6. She also did some acting classes with Anthony Meindl.
7. She first received attention as Amy on the ABC Family television series Secret Life of the American Teenager (2008–13) and rose to stardom in various popular and critically acclaimed films such as The Descendants (2011), The Spectacular Now (2013), The Fault in Our Stars (2014), The Divergent Series (2014–) as Beatrice “Tris” Prior and Snowden (2016).
8. For her work, she has garnered a Cannes Trophée Chopard, Sundance Film Festival Special Jury Prize for Dramatic Acting, Critics Choice Award, People’s Choice Award, Independent Spirit Award and was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture.
9. Woodley is an avid environmental activist. She supported Bernie Sanders for President in 2016.
10. In a 2014 interview, Woodley stated that she is not a feminist because she “loves men”.
11. In 2016, she protested against the Dakota Access Pipeline, a US$3.87 billion underground petroleum transport pipeline being built by Dakota Access LLC, which is over 87% complete in the State of North Dakota and 99% complete overall.
12. On October 10, she was arrested for criminal trespassing in Saint Anthony, North Dakota.
13. In mid-2016, Woodley joined the board of Our Revolution, a political organization aimed to educate voters about issues, get people involved in the political process, and work to organize and elect progressive leaders.
14. While she was starring in The Secret Life of the American Teenager, she kept her part-time job at American Apparel. She only quit when she landed a part in The Descendants.
15. She lost out to Jennifer Lawrence for the lead spot in The Hunger Games.
16. She likes to show up to most award shows wearing little to no makeup. She believes that too much makeup isn’t a proper representation of herself.
17. She loves Vibram FiveFingers Shoes and even wore them to a Golden Globes after party.
18. She played Mary Jane Watson in The Amazing Spider-Man 2, but all of her scenes were cut.
19. She gave her Los Angeles home to her grandmother and crashes at her friend’s homes when she’s in the city instead. She felt that she wasn’t getting enough use out of the home.
20. She lives a very minimalist lifestyle. Everything she owns of value fits in into a carry-on suitcase.
21. She was so desperate to land the role of Hazel Grace Lancaster in The Fault in Our Stars that she wrote letters to John Green, the author of the book, as well as the director of the movie, saying how passionate she was about the character.
22. She wasn’t allowed to wear a wig for the role, so she cut off all her hair and donated it to a children’s hospital that makes wigs for kids.