Solange Knowles is an American singer, songwriter, model, actress and the sister of Beyonce! Let’ see some amazing facts and trivia about her!
1.Her full name is Solange Piaget Knowles
2. She was born on June 24, 1986.
3. Solange Knowles was born in Houston, Texas to Mathew and Tina Knowles.
4. Expressing an interest in music from an early age, Knowles had several temporary stints in Destiny’s Child, before signing with her father’s Music World Entertainment label.
5. She was managed by her father Mathew, Knowles’ first time into the music business was in 2001 as the lead singer, backed with Destiny’s Child, on the title theme song for the animated television series The Proud Family.
6. She also was a featured performer on “Hey Goldmember” for the soundtrack to the 2002 film Austin Powers in Goldmember, as well as a backup singer on the track “Little Drummer Boy” on her sister’s group’s 2001 holiday album 8 Days of Christmas.
7. In 2002, she was featured on Lil Romeo’s second studio album Game Time, singing portions of Luther Vandross-penned “So Amazing” on the single “True Love”, and on Rowland’s debut solo album Simply Deep, for which she also wrote the title track and “Alone”.
8. In 2001 she also appeared as Lil’ Bow Wow’s date in the music video for his single “Puppy Love”.
9. She also made an appearance on The Master of Disguise soundtrack and made cameos in Play’s video for “M.A.S.T.E.R. (Part II)” featuring Lil’ Fizz.
10. In 2002, she lent her voice for the character Chanel, the cousin of the protagonist Penny Proud, in the episode “Behind Family Lines” to the animated television series The Proud Family.
11. In June 2003, Mathew Knowles excitedly announced that he was considering adding Solange to Destiny’s Child when the group reunited in 2004, thus turning them into a quartet for the first time since short-lived member Farrah Franklin left in 2000.
12.A t the age of 14, Solange Knowles started working on her debut album Solo Star, which involved American producers such as Jermaine Dupri, The Neptunes, Linda Perry and Timbaland among others.
13. The album is primarily uptempo R&B, although Knowles said there are pop, rock, reggae and hip hop influences.
14. Feelin’ You (Part II)” failed to enter the Billboard Hot 100, but reached number three on both the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles Sales and Hot Dance Singles Sales chart.
15. Solo Star was released on January 21, 2003 in the United States, where it debuted at number 49 on the Billboard 200 and reached number 23 on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart.
16. Solange Knowles cites as her influences Motown girl groups such as The Supremes and The Marvelettes, and Martha Reeves, lead singer of Martha and the Vandellas.
17. She also listened to the music of English pop singer Dusty Springfield, and according to Knowles, her “greatest music influence” is her mother, Tina Knowles, who was a one-time member of the 1960s harmony group The Veltones.
18. Solange Knowles says her first passion is writing songs.
19. Her early writings were vastly inspired by the writing style of French poet Paul Verlaine.
20. She has been doing this since she was nine years old, and has collaborated with a number of songwriters and producers.
21. On her debut album, Knowles had no control over which kinds of music to produce. She was only 14 after all!
22. Her musical influences were better expressed on Sol-Angel and the Hadley St. Dreams, when she considered herself mature and was able to write and produce songs as she wished, without worrying about the expectations of others.
23. Aside from recording, Knowles occasionally paints as her hobby.
24. Solange has always been compared by the media to her sister, Beyoncé, whom she considers one of her role models. She has expressed her opinion of the comparison in the lyrics to “God Given Name”: “I’m not her and never will be”— which was purposely set as the album’s opening track to show their differences.
25. In his review for the album, Jody Rosen of Rolling Stone magazine referred to the lyrics as a declaration of independence.
26. Beyoncé was unwilling to bring her sister into the recording industry, reasoning that it “involves a lot of pressure”.
27. In recent years, Solange has also garnered considerable attention as a fashion icon. Her knack for bold colors, mixed prints and retro styles as well as her knack for glamorous, fashion forward looks in her music videography and public appearances has become integral to her current image.
28. She has been photographed wearing Alexander Wang, Alexander McQueen and Chanel.
29. The music video for her 2012 single “Losing You” featured a heavy demonstration of the contemporary sartorial movement throughout Africa, La Sape.
30. Similarly, her decision to grow her natural hair initially generated strong reactions from the public. Since trimming off her straightened hair, her nostalgic and modern afro hairstyles have captured the attention of the media and the public alike.
31. Solange Knowles has been promoting Baby Jamz, a hip hop-styled toy line for pre-schoolers. It was inspired by her son, Julez, who is fond of hip hop music.
32. She is the executive producer of the CD, composed of updated hip hop inspired nursery rhymes, which is featured in all of the toys.
33. Solange has been known for her work in the award-winning children’s television show, Yo Gabba Gabba!. She performed “Momma Loves Baby” during the live performance when it toured the Dallas–Fort Worth area. She also performed “Mama Loves Baby” during a 2010 episode called “Baby”.
34. In 2011, Knowles along with Alejandra Ramos Munoz and Zooey Deschanel, was announced as the new face of Rimmel London.
35. In February 2012, Solange became VOGUE.COM’s Today I’m Wearing guest blogger sharing a photograph of her outfits daily for one month.
36. Solange and sister Beyoncé model for their family’s clothing line, House of Deréon, named after their grandmother, Agnéz Deréon. She also helped launch Deréon, a junior apparel collection and a sister line to House of Deréon.Both sisters model for Deréon, and are featured in most of Deréon’s marketing campaigns. Together they were featured in a “Got Milk?” campaign ad, while still wearing House of Deréon.
37. In 2008, Knowles was named as ambassador for Giorgio Armani’s younger diffusion line, Armani Jeans. Armani said Knowles epitomizes the style, which is a “vision of a young, independent, casual lifestyle with a strong and cool, fashion sensibility.
38. Solange Knowles married Daniel Smith in February 2004 when she was 17 and he was 19.
39. On October 18, 2004, Knowles gave birth to their son, Daniel Julez Judo Smith, Jr.
40. Solange Knowles has partly expressed regret that she bore a child at an early age, but calls her son the greatest unplanned blessing.
41. In October 2007, Solange confirmed in an interview with Essence magazine that she and Smith had divorced.
42. After the divorce, Knowles and her child moved to Los Angeles, California, where they established their new home.
43. In August 2013, Knowles announced that she and her son were moving to New Orleans, Louisiana.
44. On May 12, 2014, TMZ released security video footage of Solange physically assaulting brother-in-law Jay-Z and being restrained by a security guard in an elevator at The Standard, High Line in Manhattan, following the 2014 Met Gala. Jay-Z remained passive and did not retaliate while Solange’s sister Beyoncé, who was also present, did not react to either party throughout the altercation. The footage and story went viral, however the reason for the altercation remains unknown.
45. On November 16, 2014, Knowles married music video director Alan Ferguson in New Orleans, Louisiana.