Read in the list below 20 unknown fun facts about bubble gums!
1. Kids in North America spend approximately half a billion dollars on bubble gum every year.
2. The largest piece of gum ever was equivalent to 10,000 pieces of chewing gum!
3. 100,000 tons of bubble gum is chewed every year all around the world.
4. Chewing bubble gum is said to keep one from crying, as it reduces stress and helps in concentration.
5. Sixty to 70 percent of bubble gum is sugar.
6. One of the most famous, but false facts, is that swallowed gum will remain in your gastrointestinal tract for seven years. It is not so. Swallowed bubble gum will not get stuck to your intestines, but will pass through your system, because, gum base cannot be digested, as it has fiber that is indigestible.
7. Scientists found a 9,000-year- old wad of chewing gum in Sweden.
8. The average American chews around 300 sticks of gum in one year.
9. The head of the Philadelphia Chewing Gum Company (who happens to be the makers of Swell Bubble Gum), Edward L. Fenimore, has been said to have blown a bubble within a bubble within a bubble, that is, a triple whammy.
10. In Africa, it was said that various tribes accepted large quantities of bubble gum in lieu of sheep and oxen, as payment for a wife.
11. Another cool fact is that if your popped bubble gets stuck in your hair, you can remove it by rubbing the piece stuck with peanut butter.
12. The color of the first successful bubble gum was pink, because it was the only color that was left with the inventor.
13. A mathematician once calculated and figured out that the energy Americans expend everyday when chewing bubble gum was enough to light a city of ten million people.
14. The first bubble gum ever marketed was done so under the name “Blibber-Blubber”.
15. By the 1940s, bubble gum had become so popular that it was included in the ration kits given to U.S. soldiers.
16. According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the largest bubble ever blown measured 23 inches in diameter!
17. It is believed that ancient Greeks found relief from stress by chewing a gum that was made from a resin.
18. Turkey is the country with the most gum companies; the United States is second.
19. The largest piece of bubble gum ever was the size and weight of 10,000 regular pieces and was presented to baseball player Willie Mays by the Topps Chewing Gum Company in June 1974.
20. Humans are the only animals on earth that chew gum. If you give a monkey a piece he will chew it for a couple of minutes, then he will take it out and stick it to his hair.