Sam Claflin is an English actor best known for his role in “The Hunger Games” film series and the movie “Me Before You”. Let’s see some interesting facts and trivia about him!
1. His full name is Samuel George Claflin.
2. He was born on 27 June 1986.
3. Claflin was born in Ipswich, Suffolk, England. He grew up in Norwich, Norfolk.
4. He is the third of four sons of Mark, a finance officer, and Sue Claflin, a classroom assistant.
5. He has two older brothers, Benjamin and Daniel, and a younger brother, Joseph, who is also an actor.
6. As a child, he had an interest in football.
7. He played throughout his childhood until he broke his ankle, an injury that he felt would prevent him from playing professionally.
8. After some persuasion from his parents and a teacher with whom he’d made an impression during his high school play at Costessey High School, he pursued acting.
9. He was a member of the Norwich City School of Excellence.
10. In 2003, he took up Performing Arts at Norwich City College, before going on to attend the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art, from which he graduated in 2009.
11. Sam Claflin made his acting debut in 2010, when he appeared on the television miniseries The Pillars of the Earth as Richard and in the TV series Any Human Heart as young Logan Mountstuart.
12. In March 2011, he was cast as Thomas in The Seventh Son, a film adaptation of The Spook’s Apprentice, but dropped for unknown reasons and was replaced by Ben Barnes.
13. His next appearance came in April 2011, when he portrayed footballer Duncan Edwards in the BBC TV drama United, which was centred on the events of the 1958 Munich air disaster, in which Edwards was fatally injured.
14. In April 2010, he was cast as Phillip Swift, a missionary that falls in love with the mermaid Syrena (portrayed by Àstrid Bergès-Frisbey), in 2011’s Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, the fourth installment of the Pirates of the Caribbean film series. For the film, he received a nomination in the 17th Empire Awards for “Best Male Newcomer.
15. On 22 August 2012, Lionsgate announced that Sam Claflin had been cast as Finnick Odair in The Hunger Games film series, starting with The Hunger Games: Catching Fire. Director of Catching Fire, Francis Lawrence, stated of Claflin’s performance during filming: “Finnick’s an interesting character. At first he feels like a bit of a flirt and there’s a little bit of sexual tension, but really you kind of fall in love with the guy and you see that there’s a real deep emotional side to him. It’s one of the reasons I really hired him in the first place was that it’s where his character goes in the next couple of stories and I just think he did a fantastic job.”
16. In 2011, Claflin started dating actress Laura Haddock.
17. In a 2012 interview, he said of Haddock, “She’s my female counterpart is the best way to describe her. She is my mum. She reminds me of my mum so much which I think – a guy will know, right? It’s important. Your mum knows like everything.”
18. Sam Claflin states that, after he first met her, he called his agent to exclaim that he had just met the woman he wanted to marry.
19.The two married in July 2013 in a private ceremony. On 5 November 2015, at the The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2 London premiere, it was revealed that Claflin and Haddock were expecting their first child. Haddock gave birth to their child, a son, in December 2015
20. They live in Chiswick, London.