Passengers is an upcoming 2016 American romantic science fiction thriller film directed by Morten Tyldum. Let’s see some amazing facts and trivia about it!
1.It is directed by Morten Tyldum and written by Jon Spaihts.
2. The plot: The spaceship, Starship Avalon, on its 120-year voyage to a distant colony planet known as “Homestead II” and transporting 5,259 people has a malfunction in two of its sleep chambers. As a result, two hibernation pods open prematurely and the two people that awake are stranded on the spaceship, still 90 years from their destination.
3. Aurora Dunn (Jennifer Lawrence) is a journalist from New York City who is interested in cosmic travel. Jim Preston (Chris Pratt) is a mechanical engineer from Denver who wants to leave Earth and bought the ticket for the journey.
4. The original script for Passengers written by Jon Spaihts had been floating around Hollywood for years after it was included in 2007’s Black List (Hollywood’s annual ranking of the most admired scripts that have yet to be greenlit) and was in development hell ever since.
5. Passengers bounced from place to place before landing at Sony Pictures. At one time, when it was a Weinstein Co. project with Keanu Reeves and Reese Witherspoon, it was budgeted at a modest $35 million.
6. Brian Kirk was originally scheduled to make his feature directorial debut with the film with Reeves at the lead and Wayfare Entertainment financing and producing the film.
7. On December 5, 2014, it was announced that Sony Pictures Entertainment had won the auction to take the rights to the film.
8. In early 2015, Morten Tyldum was chosen to helm the film. Tyldum had always wanted to do a massive sci-fi action movie but also stressed on the importance of a character driven film rather than a cold and distant sci-fi film.
9. Sony’s new motion picture chairman Tom Rothman – who succeeded Amy Pascal – told Tyldum to trim the budget down to $90 million only to be met with resistance.
10. The cast – Jennifer Lawrence, Chris Pratt, Michael Sheen, Laurence Fishburne and Aurora Perrineau – were announced between February 2015 to January 2016.
11. Jennifer Lawrence was paid $20 million against 30 percent of the profit after the movie breaks even and Pratt was paid $12 million.
12. Principal photography on the film began in September 2015 in Atlanta, Georgia.
13. Filming occasionally took place for full days with a bulk of the shooting done around the two leads only.
14. Jennifer Lawrence got herself really drunk for a sex scene – her first ever – which she said was “bizarre” and “awkward” and was followed by anxiety and guilt.
15. She stressed over the fact that Pratt (husband of Anna Faris) was the first married man she has kissed.
16. Thomas Newman will compose the musical score for Passengers.
17. Spaihts said that he wrote Passengers while listening to Newman’s previous scores.
18. Keanu Reeves was attached to the lead male role in the film, but dropped out. Chris Pratt was eventually cast instead.
19. Reese Witherspoon, Rachel McAdams and Emily Blunt were all, at different times, cast in the lead female role in the film, but dropped out during development. Jennifer Lawrence was eventually cast instead.
20. On the poster, under the title contains the symbols: dot dot dot, dash dash dash, dot dot dot – morse code for S.O.S
21. Jennifer Lawrence has stated that this was her first sex scene. But she previously had sex scenes in Like Crazy (2011) with Anton Yelchen and Serena (2014) alongside Bradley Cooper.