Mr. Robot is an American drama–thriller television series created by Sam Esmail. Let’s see some awesome facts and trivia about the series!
1. It stars Rami Malek as Elliot Alderson, a cybersecurity engineer and hacker who suffers from social anxiety disorder and clinical depression.
2. Alderson is recruited by an insurrectionary anarchist known as “Mr. Robot”, played by Christian Slater, to join a group of hacktivists.
3. The group aims to cancel all debts by attacking the large corporation E Corp.
4. According to Sam Esmail, he is fascinated by the hacker culture and wanted to make a film about it for around 15 years.
5. In the production, Esmail consulted experts to give a realistic picture of hacking activities.
6. Another inspiration for Esmail, who is of Egyptian descent, was the Arab Spring, where young people who were angry at society used social media to bring about a change.
7. Sam Esmail had originally intended Mr. Robot to be a feature film, with the end of the first act being someone finding out that he had a mental disorder while enacting a greater scheme.
8. However, midway through writing the first act, he found that script had expanded considerably, and that became a script more suited for a television show.
9. He removed 20 pages of around 89 pages of the script then written, and used it as the pilot for the series, and what was to have been the end of the first act became the finale of the first season.
10. Esmail took the script to Anonymous Content to see if it could be developed into a television series, which was then picked up by USA Network. USA Network gave a pilot order to Mr. Robot in July 2014, and picked it up to series with a 10-episode order in December 2014.
11. Production began in New York on April 13, 2015. Prior to its series premiere on June 24, 2015, Mr. Robot was renewed for a second season, which will include a minimum of 10 episodes.
12. In December 2015, it was announced that Sam Esmail will direct all 10 episodes in season two.
13. Sam Esmail has acknowledged several major influences on the show, such as American Psycho, Taxi Driver, A Clockwork Orange, and The Matrix.
14. In particular, Esmail credited Fight Club as the inspiration for a main character who suffers from dissociative identity disorder creating a new manifestation of his deceased father in the form of a hacker, as well as for the anti-consumerist and anti-establishment spirit of its characters.
15. Commentators have also noted the parallel in its plot on the erasing of consumer debt records to the film.
16. In an interview, Esmail explains how playing the song that Fincher used to underscore the climax of his film (“Where Is My Mind?”) when Elliot initiates the hack in episode nine is intended as a message to the audience that he is aware of the inspiration they took from Fight Club.
17. The narration by the protagonist was influenced by Taxi Driver, and other influences mentioned included Risky Business in its music score, Blade Runner for the character development, and the television series Breaking Bad for the story arc.
18. The series is filmed in New York.
19. Filming locations include Coney Island which serves as the base of operations for the hacking group fsociety.
20. As the production crew was unable to shut down Times Square for filming, the scenes at Times Square in the finale were shot late at night just before the 4th of July holiday weekend to catch the area at its emptiest.
21. Production on the second season began on March 7, 2016, resuming filming in New York City.
22. The languages Tyrell Wellick and Joanna Wellick speak between them, are Swedish (Tyrell) and Danish (Joanna).
23. Each episode name (Season 1) ends in a video file name extension like .flv or .mov, which are all popular video file formats.