Zayn Malik is an English singer and songwriter, former member of “One Direction”. Let’s see some amazing facts and trivia about him!
1.His full name is
2. He was born on 12 January 1993.
3. In 2010, Malik auditioned as a solo artist for the British reality television music competition The X Factor.
4. After being eliminated as a solo performer, Malik was brought back into the competition, along with Harry Styles, Niall Horan, Liam Payne, and Louis Tomlinson, to form the boy band One Direction.
5.He was born in Bradford, West Yorkshire, England.
6. His father, Yaser Malik, is British Pakistani, and his mother, Tricia Brannan Malik, is English, and of part Irish descent; she converted to Islam upon marriage.
7. He has one older sister, Doniya, and two younger sisters, Waliyha and Safaa.
8. He was raised in a working class family, and grew up in a working-class neighbourhood.
9. Zayn Malik grew up in East Bowling, located south of the Bradford city centre.
10. He attended Lower Fields Primary School and Tong High School in Bradford.
11. Zayn Malik has stated that he started taking pride in his appearance after moving schools at the age of twelve, and as a teenager he took performing arts courses and appeared in school productions.
12. He grew up listening to his father’s urban music records, primarily R&B, hip hop, and reggae, as well as Bollywood music.
13. He starting writing raps when he was at school, and sang on stage for the first time when singer Jay Sean visited his school.
14. Zayn Malik also did boxing when he was 15 to 17 years old.
15. Prior to his music career, he was originally planning to pursue an English degree at university.
16. A book licensed by One Direction, One Direction: Forever Young (Our Official X Factor Story), released in February 2011, topped The Sunday Times’ Best Seller list.
17. The same month, the boy band performed for 500,000 people throughout the UK as part of the X Factor Live Tour. The group’s debut studio album Up All Night was released in November 2011. It topped the charts in 16 countries.
18. The lead single, “What Makes You Beautiful”, was an international commercial success, reaching number one in the UK and number four in the US; it has since been certified four and six times platinum in the US and Australia, respectively.
19. Subsequent singles, “Gotta Be You” and “One Thing”, became top ten hits in the UK. The band’s second studio album, Take Me Home, was released in November 2012.
20. The record sold 540,000 copies in its first week in the US and went to number one in 35 countries.
21. The album’s lead single, “Live While We’re Young”, became One Direction’s highest peaking song in a number of countries and recorded the highest one-week opening sales figure for a song by a non-US artist at the time
22. One Direction’s third studio album, 2013’s Midnight Memories, was a commercial success as well. Its number one debut on Billboard 200 made One Direction the first band in history to have their first three albums all debut atop the Billboard 200.
23. With their fourth album, 2014’s Four, they extended the record to four consecutive number-one albums. As of March 2015, the band has sold 6.49 million albums and 23.7 million singles in the United States.
24. The group has sold more than 50 million records globally.
25. Zayn Malik quit the band on 25 March 2015, citing his desire to live as a “normal 22-year-old who is able to relax and have some private time out of the spotlight”, after signing off from the band’s On the Road Again Tour for an indefinite period six days prior due to stress.
26. He denied rumors of any rift between the members, explaining that the band had been supportive of the decision.
27. His last public performance in the name of One Direction was On the Road Again Tour in Hong Kong on 18 March 2015 in AsiaWorld Arena.
28. In March 2015, Zayn Malik was seen at a London recording studio with producer Naughty Boy, leading to speculation of the pair working on music together.
29. Following his departure from One Direction, Malik alluded to the potential of a solo career, with the release of his first solo studio album to be released under the Syco label in 2016.
30. On 31 March 2015, Naughty Boy released on SoundCloud an early demo of Malik’s song “I Won’t Mind”.
31. In June 2015, UK rapper Mic Righteous leaked Malik’s “No Type”, featuring Mic Righteous and produced by Naughty Boy, a cover version of Rae Sremmurd’s hip hop song.
32. With Naughty Boy as his producer, Malik also worked with grime rappers Krept & Konan during this time, recording a song together with an unfinished music video, but the material was never released after Malik parted ways with Naughty Boy.
33. Though unreleased, his work with Naughty Boy and Krept & Konan helped Malik gain a new urban audience in the UK.
34. On 29 July 2015, Malik announced he had signed a recording deal with RCA Records.
35. The album’s lead single “Pillowtalk” was released along with its accompanying music video on 29 January 2016, described by music critics as a downtempo electronic R&B slow jam, leaning towards PBR&B or alternative R&B.
36. The song debuted at number one in a number of countries, including the UK Singles Chart and the US Billboard Hot 100; on the latter, it became the 25th song to debut at number one, making him the first UK artist to debut at number one on the Hot 100 with a first charted single.
37. The single’s performance propelled Zayn to number six on the Billboard Artist 100 chart. Worldwide, he had the highest first-day and weekly streams for a debut artist
38. On 25 February 2016, “Pillowtalk (Lil Wayne Remix)” was released, featuring American rapper Lil Wayne; it is a hip hop remix that features rapping by Lil Wayne along with rapping and rap-singing by Zayn.
39. The album has received generally positive reviews from music critics, with praise directed towards Malik’s new musical direction, his vocals, and the album’s music production.
40. Mind of Mine debuted at number one in a number of countries, including the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Norway, Sweden, and United States, where he became the first British male solo artist to debut at number one with his first album.
41. Zayn debuted atop the US Billboard 200 earning 157,000 equivalent album units in its first week, with 112,000 coming from pure album sales. Zayn is also the first UK male artist to debut at number one in both the UK and US, and the third artist to debut at number one on both the Billboard 200 and Hot 100 with debut entries on each chart (along with Lauryn Hill and Clay Aiken).
42. Zayn also topped the Billboard Artist 100 chart, replacing Justin Bieber at the summit, and surpassing One Direction’s number-two peak on the chart.
43. Malik cites urban music as his main musical influence, having grown up predominantly with R&B, hip hop, and reggae, as well as bop and Bollywood music.
44. He was influenced by his father’s urban records, including R. Kelly, Usher, Donell Jones, Prince, 2Pac, Biggie, Gregory Isaacs, and Yellowman, as well as Chris Brown.
45. Zayn Malik possesses a wide tenor vocal range, and is known for his belting and falsetto singing techniques and hitting high notes with his vocals.
46. He was regarded as the band’s strongest singer.
47. Zayn Malik was known as the “Bradford Bad Boy” of One Direction, due to his mischievous behaviour, scandals, many tattoos, graffiti art, and rock star hairstyles.
48. Since prior to X-Factor, Malik has been a fan of tattoos, saying that he likes “getting tattoos and that he loves the whole culture behind them.
49. His first tattoo was revealed on his Twitter account. Malik got his maternal grandfather’s name inked in Arabic: والتر (Walter).
50. In 2011, he was ranked number 27 on Glamour’s “World’s Sexiest Men” list.
51. In 2014, Malik was voted British GQ’s best dressed male. In 2015, he was voted the “Sexiest Male In Pop” in a poll by British radio network Capital, voted the “World’s Sexiest Asian Man” in a worldwide poll by British newspaper Eastern Eye, voted second place in a poll of the “World’s top ten bachelors” by Manchester’s Crown Clinic, and ranked number six on MTV’s “50 sexiest men alive” list.
52. in 2016, he was ranked number five on Glamour magazine’s “100 Sexiest Men” list.
53. As of April 2016, Forbes estimates his online social media following (across Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube and Pandora) to be 47 million users.
54. Zayn Malik began dating Perrie Edwards of Little Mix in early 2012; they got engaged in 2013.
55. On 4 August 2015, Malik’s representative confirmed that the couple had ended their engagement.
56. Since November 2015, he has been seen on dates with American model Gigi Hadid, and he confirmed their relationship in March 2016.
57. Zayn Malik is Muslim.
58. He speaks English and Urdu, and can read Arabic.
59. He has received abuse in the form of anti-Muslim slurs, which led to him deleting his Twitter account in 2012.
60. During the 2014 Israel–Gaza conflict, Malik posted the message “#FreePalestine” on Twitter, resulting in him receiving angry responses and death threats.
61.He said that, after the release of his debut album, he plans to pursue an academic degree in English or literature (which he originally intended before his music career), while at the same time writing his next album.
62. He is an official ambassador of the British Asian Trust charity group, contributing to improving the lives of disadvantaged people living in South Asia.
63. With his former group One Direction, he contributed to African fundraising events with Comic Relief.
64. In March 2016, he bought a box at Bradford City for underprivileged children to watch football, named after his maternal grandfather Walter Brannan.
65. As of April 2015, shortly after he left One Direction, Malik’s net worth was £25 million ($41 million). As of April 2016, his net worth is £30 million ($49 million).