Tyler the Creator is an American rapper, record producer and music video director. Let’s see some amazing facts and trivia about him!
1.His full name is Tyler Gregory Okonma.
2. He was born March 6, 1991.
3. Okonma was born in Ladera Heights, California, to a Nigerian father and a mother of African-American and white Canadian descent.
4. He has said that he has never met his father, and spent his early life living in the communities of Ladera Heights and Hawthorne, California.
5. At the age of seven, he would take the cover out of an album’s case and create covers for his own imaginary albums – including a track list with song lengths – before he could even make music.
6. At the age of 14, he taught himself to play the piano. In his 12 years of schooling, he attended 12 different schools in the Los Angeles and Sacramento areas.[ He worked at FedEx for just under two weeks, and Starbucks for over two years.
7. On December 25, 2009, Tyler self-released his first mixtape, Bastard.
8. The mixtape was eventually ranked 32nd on Pitchfork Media’s list of the Top Albums of 2010. On February 11, 2011, Tyler released the music video for “Yonkers,” the first single from his second album, Goblin, which was released May 10, 2011.
9. The video has received attention from several online media outlets. An extended version with a third verse can be purchased on iTunes.
10. After the release of “Yonkers”, Tyler announced that he had signed a one-album deal with XL Recordings.
11. Tyler and fellow OF member Hodgy Beats made their television debut on February 16, 2011 when they performed “Sandwitches” on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.
12. On March 16, Tyler and Hodgy performed “Yonkers” and “Sandwitches” on the 2011 mtvU Woodie Awards, being joined by other members of Odd Future during “Sandwitches”. Goblin was released on May 10, 2011.
13. Tyler first mentioned the album in early 2010 saying that he would have an album titled Wolf. In early 2011 he told fans through his Formspring account that his third album would be called Wolf and it was scheduled to be released in May 2012.
14. On June 29, 2017, Tyler released a song titled “Who Dat Boy” featuring A$AP Rocky on a new YouTube channel following many promotional countdown posts on his social media accounts. Later that night, he released the song on streaming services with a new song titled “911 / Mr. Lonely” featuring Steve Lacy, Frank Ocean, and Anna of the North.
15. On July 6, 2017, he announced the name, tracklist and release date of his fourth album, Scum Fuck Flower Boy, set to be released on July 21, 2017.
16. Tyler has been criticized for his use of homophobic slurs, in particular, his frequent use of the epithet “faggot” in his lyrics and on Twitter.
17. Tyler has also been criticized for his graphic depictions of violence against women and his allegedly misogynistic lyrics.
18.A series of three commercials for Mountain Dew directed by Tyler created controversy in May 2013, accused of using “racial stereotypes” and “making light of violence against women.” In the spots an energy drink-loving goat character called “Felicia the Goat” is consecutively being “scapegoated” in a diner, in prison and on the road.
19. During the 60-second ad in prison, a battered white woman on crutches examines a police line-up consisting of several African American men and one goat, while the goat antagonizes the woman. Syracuse professor and social critic Dr. Boyce Watkins stated that the ad was “arguably the most racist commercial in history”. PepsiCo pulled the ad and apologized.
20. Tyler released a statement claiming that the ad was not meant to “spark a controversy about race” and that “it was simply an, again, admittedly absurd story that was never meant to be taken seriously.”
21. On March 15, 2014, Tyler was arrested for inciting a riot after having shouted to fans to push their way past security guards at a sold-out show at the South by Southwest music festival.