The Blacklist is an American crime thriller television series that premiered on NBC on September 23, 2013.
Let’s find out some fun facts about it!
1. Raymond “Red” Reddington (James Spader), a former U.S. Navy officer turned high-profile criminal, voluntarily surrenders to the FBI after eluding capture for decades. He tells the FBI that he has a list of the most dangerous criminals in the world that he has compiled over the years and is willing to inform on their operations in exchange for immunity from prosecution. However, he insists on working exclusively with a rookie FBI profiler by the name of Elizabeth Keen (Megan Boone).
2. The series also stars Diego Klattenhoff, Ryan Eggold, and Harry Lennix. The pilot episode was written by Jon Bokenkamp and directed by Joe Carnahan.
3. Executive producers for the series include Bokenkamp, John Eisendrath, and John Davis for Sony Pictures Television, Universal Television, and Davis Entertainment.
4. On October 4, 2013, NBC ordered nine more episodes, filling out the series’ first season. On December 3, 2013, NBC renewed the series for a 22-episode second season.
5. On May 11, 2014, owing to the series’ breakout success, NBC decided to air an episode in the coveted post-Super Bowl timeslot in 2015.
6. On December 5, 2015, the series was renewed for a fourth season, which premiered on September 22, 2016.
7. A spin-off series, The Blacklist: Redemption, premiered on February 23, 2017.
8. The series has received positive reviews, with many critics praising Spader’s performance in particular.
9. The first season of The Blacklist received strong reviews from television critics. On Metacritic, the first season has a score of 74 out of 100, based on 31 critics, indicating “generally favorable reviews”.
10. On Rotten Tomatoes, the first season has a rating of 82%, based on 45 reviews, with an average rating of 7/10. The consensus reads, “James Spader is riveting as a criminal-turned-informant, and his presence goes a long way toward making this twisty but occasionally implausible crime procedural compelling”.
11. The second season received a rating of 80%, based on 10 reviews, with an average rating of 7.7/10.
12. James Spader claims to have a photographic memory. In order to prepare for an episode of The Blacklist, or any other role he may be performing, Spader will read over the script like most actors will do during the rehearsal process. Once it comes time to shoot a scene, Spader is able to remember what each page looks like and can recite his lines verbatim.
13. Many remember Parminder Nagra from her 6 year stint playing Dr. Neela Rasgotra from 2003-2009 on the NBC medical drama ER.
14. Ryan Eggold’s acting career spans beyond his work in television and film.
15. Elizabeth’s hair is a wig. Megan Boone actually has quite a short hair cut. She thought that wearing the wig would give her character a “more naive, young look”.