Mel B is an English singer, songwriter, presenter, television personality, dancer, actress, author, and model.
Let’s see interesting facts about her!
1. Melanie Janine Brown was born 29 May 1975 in Harehills, Leeds, and grew up in the Burley area of the city.
2. She is the daughter of Andrea (née Dixon) and Martin Brown.
3. Her father is from the Caribbean island nation of Saint Kitts and Nevis; while her mother is English.
4. Brown studied performing arts at Intake High School, in Leeds, before entering the entertainment industry.
5. For a time, she worked as a dancer in Blackpool, Lancashire.
6. After seeing an advertisement for an audition in a newspaper, Brown started her music career in a band known as Touch.
7. The group left the original management team and eventually teamed up with music manager Simon Fuller.
8. From 1996 to 1997, Brown dated Icelandic businessman Fjölnir Thorgeirsson.
9. In March 1998, while on the Spiceworld Tour, Brown began a relationship with Dutch dancer Jimmy Gulzar. The couple became engaged on 13 May 1998.
10. Melanie became pregnant in June of the same year, and the couple were married in Little Marlow, Buckinghamshire, on 13 September 1998.
11. Melanie B changed her stage name to Melanie G while they were married.
12. Their daughter, Phoenix Chi Gulzar, was born on 19 February 1999.
13. Brown filed for divorce in 2000, and the divorce was finalized later the same year.
14. Brown won custody, and paid an alimony settlement of $2.8m to Gulzar.
15. Gulzar was prosecuted for threatening Brown and attacking her sister, Danielle, in August 2001.
16. He was found guilty of the assault, but was later cleared by the court.
17. In 2000 Brown began a relationship with actor Max Beesley; the couple dated for two years.
18. From 2002 to 2006 Brown was in a relationship with film producer Christine Crokos.
19. Brown and Crokos lived together in Los Angeles, California.
20. Asked about the relationship, Brown said: “People call me lesbian, bisexual or heterosexual, but I know who’s in my bed and that’s it. I have a huge libido and a great sex life”. Brown and Crokos’ relationship ended in 2006.
21. Brown has said that she had a four-year lesbian relationship when in her teens. A woman whom Brown befriended in Hollywood claims that she and Brown had a two-year lesbian relationship beginning in 2005 and involving another woman, but Brown denied this.[=
22. In 2006 Brown became the subject of tabloid stories due to her relationship with Hollywood actor Eddie Murphy, who would eventually acknowledge he was the father of Brown’s then unborn second child, a daughter named Angel Iris Murphy Brown, born 3 April 2007.
23. By early December 2006, Brown and Murphy had ended their relationship, and Murphy told a journalist of the Dutch TV show RTL Boulevard at the Dreamgirls film premiere that the parentage of Brown’s unborn baby could not be proven until a paternity test was performed.
24. In 22 June 2007, a court-ordered DNA test confirmed that Murphy was the child’s father. Murphy admitted paternity and indicated that a paternity settlement of $7 million had been reached.
25. In February 2007 Brown began dating film producer Stephen Belafonte.
26. Brown and Belafonte secretly married on 6 June 2007 in Las Vegas, Nevada.
27. The couple subsequently renewed their vows in front of their families on 8 November 2008 in Hurghada, Egypt.
28. On 1 September 2011, Brown gave birth to her third child, daughter Madison Brown Belafonte.
29. On 18 December 2014, it was revealed Brown had been blinded in one eye after a botched laser eye surgery 15 years prior.
30. In March 2017, Brown filed for divorce from Stephen Belafonte. The couple separated in December 2016.
31. Brown accused Belafonte of “emotional and physical abuse”.
32. In court, Belafonte’s representative said that due to the couple’s “extravagant and affluent” lifestyle, Brown had “wiped out all her Spice Girls money – approximately $50 million (£38.3 million), if not more”.