The Mannequin Challenge is a viral Internet video trend. Let’s see some amazing trivia and facts about it!
1.The Mannequin Challenge is a viral Internet video trend where people remain frozen in action like mannequins while a video is recorded, usually with the song “Black Beatles” by Rae Sremmurd playing in the background.
2. The hashtag #MannequinChallenge was used for popular social media platforms such as Twitter and Instagram.
3. It is believed that the phenomenon was started by students in Jacksonville, Florida on October 12, 2016.
4. The initial posting has inspired works by other groups, especially professional athletes and sports teams that have posted increasingly complex and elaborate videos.
5. News outlets have compared the videos to scenes from science fiction films, such as X-Men: Days of Future Past, X-Men: Apocalypse, The Matrix, Lost in Space or Buffalo ’66, while the participatory nature of the challenge on social media makes it similar to memes such as Makankosappo or the Harlem Shake.
6. Others have noted similarities with the HBO TV series Westworld which debuted around the same time, where robotic hosts can be stopped in their tracks.
7. In 2008, Improv Everywhere performed “Frozen Grand Central”, a precursor of the mannequin challenge involving hundreds of people in a flash mob style in New York City’s Grand Central Terminal.
8. The 2015 video “Soke” by Burna Boy also has stylized frozen actors similar to the challenge.
9. A number of notable sports teams, both collegiate and professional, and sports personalities have engaged in the challenge with elaborate versions with dozens of participants.
10. Pittsburgh Steelers,Anaheim Ducks, Dallas Cowboys, Buffalo Bills, New York Giants,Milwaukee Bucks and many others!
11. SEC Network sportscasters, crew and student crowd, on set November 5.
12. ESPN College Gameday sportscasters and student crowd, November 5.
13. Borussia Dortmund, of the German Bundesliga, in a weight room.
14. Portugal national football team with Cristiano Ronaldo in their locker room.
15, NBA basketball player Steph Curry and wife Ayesha Curry posted a version done at a restaurant full of patrons.
16. The crew of WWE NXT made a two minute video that was posted on November 8.
17. First Lady Michelle Obama posed for a video with the NBA champions Cleveland Cavaliers at the White House.
18. Once many versions of the challenge began surfacing with Rae Sremmurd’s “Black Beatles” as the background music, Rae Sremmurd paused a concert to do a Mannequin Challenge video live on stage.
19. Dancing With the Stars in the U.S. created a video with cast and crew on the dance floor that was posted to dancer Val Chmerkovskiy’s Instagram account.
20. The former members of Destiny’s Child, Beyoncé, Michelle Williams and Kelly Rowland, created a video on November 7.
21. Adele adopted a Western theme in a November 7 video
22. One of The Beatles, Paul McCartney did this challenge by standing by a piano frozen while the song is playing. He showed his support for the song and the artists in a Twitter message.
23. Ellen DeGeneres and Warren Beatty created a video of a table tennis game and posted it to Instagram.
24. The The Late Late Show with James Corden created an elaborate video of more than 2 minutes and 30 seconds, that involved the entire crew, backstage area and studio audience.
25. Blac Chyna and Rob Kardashian created a video in the hospital delivery room which went viral!
26. The night before election night, Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton participated in a video with Jon Bon Jovi, Bill Clinton, Huma Abedin and various staffers on her campaign plane.
27. On November 10, film makers Simone Shepherd, Kevalena Everett and Todd Anthony made a series of videos that re-created scenes related to the Black Lives Matter movement, as a promotional teaser for their feature film Black in Blue.