Laura Pergolizzi, known by her stage name as LP, is an American pop/rock singer and songwriter, originally from Long Island, New York, who performs under the stage name LP. She moved to Los Angeles in 2010. She has released three albums and one EP. As a songwriter, she has written for Cher, Rihanna and Christina Aguilera, among others.
Find out more interesting facts about LP here!
1. Laura Pergolizzi was born in 1981.
2. LP graduated from Walt Whitman High School in 1996.
3. Afterwards, she moved to New York City from Huntington, Long Island and adopted the name “LP” during that time.
4. David Lowery of the band Cracker saw her performing and featured her on “Cinderella”, a hidden track on the band’s 1998 album, Gentleman’s Blues.
5. Lowery followed up by producing her debut album, Heart-Shaped Scar, released in 2001 through Koch Records.
6. LP’s sophomore album, Suburban Sprawl & Alcohol, was released in June 2004 through Lightswitch Records.
7. On the record, she collaborated with songwriter and music producer Linda Perry.
8. However, in spite of extensive touring to promote the release and positive reviews from music critics, the album failed to gain widespread recognition.
9. In 2006, LP appeared at the music conference, South by Southwest, and reportedly sparked a bidding war amongst major music labels, eventually being signed by L.A.
10. Reid to his Island Def Jam Music Group record label, part of the Universal Music Group.
11. Due to artistic differences she left the contract. She signed with SoBe Entertainment in 2007, an independent record label, with the album tracks she had written at the major label.
12. “Love Will Keep You Up All Night”, one of the tracks she had written at Island Def Jam Music Group with Billy Mann, was released in late 2007 on the Backstreet Boys album, Unbreakable.
13. LP wrote and performed “Wasted”, from her album Suburban Sprawl & Alcohol, which was the theme song for a television show “South of Nowhere” on The N, currently known as TeenNick.
14. MTV’s The Hills also featured LP’s song “Damage Is Done” in mid-2010, and it was released on iTunes. During 2009, LP started writing songs for other artists, working extensively on the Heidi Montag album, Superficial (Warner Music). She co-wrote the single, “More Is More”, as well as the album tracks, “Twisted”, “Hey Boy”, and “Love It or Leave It”.
15. She also co-wrote other tracks for and with Montag, such as the Cathy Dennis co-write, “Look How I’m Doin'”, “I Do This”, and “Who’s That Girl”. A song she wrote with Alexander Kronlund,”Standing Where You Left Me”, was released on Erik Hassle’s debut UK album, Pieces.
16. In August 2010, it was announced that LP had signed with RedOne’s record label, 2101 Records.
17. She landed her first major breakthrough as a songwriter, co-writing Rihanna’s song, “Cheers (Drink to That)”, featured on Rihanna’s fifth studio album Loud, released on November 12, 2010 on Def Jam Recordings. “Cheers” features a vocal hook performed by LP (taken from Avril Lavigne’s “I’m with You”).
18. LP’s major label songwriting breakthroughs continued, as she co-wrote “Beautiful People”, performed by Christina Aguilera. The song is featured on the Burlesque: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack album, which was released on November 22, 2010 through RCA Records.
19. In September 2015, the song “Muddy Waters”, the first single from LP’s upcoming fourth studio album, was released.
20. In June 2016, this song featured in the violent and emotionally charged closing scene of the season four finale of Netflix’s original series Orange Is The New Black.
21. In November, the second single, titled “Lost on You”, was also released, while she held a residency at the No Vacancy club. Both songs originate from a collaboration with Mike Del Rio.
22.An EP titled Death Valley was released on June 17, 2016.
23. Shy about her powerful voice, LP would sing over lawnmowers or vacuum cleaners as a kid. Now she wails and proudly slays on the ukulele.
24. She can reach into the depths of your soul with her music. When she sings acoustically, it’s somehow even more soaring and powerful.
25. Growing up, LP never had the chance to tell her mother she was gay. “My mom died before she knew I was gay, and my dad thought it was a phase, then realized it wasn’t. But I didn’t really give a shit either way. I still don’t,” stated LP in a 2008 interview.
26. She brings new meaning to the line, “I wear my sunglasses at night.I would wear sunglasses all the time if it wasn’t looked down upon in certain situations. I always thought I’d be someone who wore sunglasses like Roy Orbison,” explains the singer. Unsurprisingly, she can really jam out a Roy Orbison cover.
27. When she’s with her girlfriend, Tamzin Brown, the world probably stops turning for a moment due to their perfection.
28. LP’s androgynous sense of style is unmatched in its flawlessness – she makes the suit game look almost too easy.
29. Strangely enough, her signature single cross earring has absolutely nothing to do with religion.
30. She is a compulsive whistler.