Jessica Simpson is an American singer, actress, and businesswoman.
Let’s find out some fun facts about her!
1. Jessica Ann Johnson was born July 10, 1980 in Abilene, Texas.
2. She is the first child of Tina Ann (née Drew), a homemaker, and Joseph “Joe” Simpson who worked as a minister.
3. Simpson’s parents married in 1978; they divorced in 2013.
4. Simpson has stated that she grew up in Dallas, but her parents now live in McGregor, Texas.
5. Simpson is the eldest child of the couple; she has a younger sister, Ashlee Simpson.
6. She briefly attended J. J. Pearce High School in her teenage years, though had to drop out as her career began to take off; she later earned her GED.
7. Being the daughter of a minister, Simpson was raised with a strong Christian faith. She was given a purity ring by her father when she was twelve years old.
8. Jessica and her family moved frequently due to her father’s job, though they remained in Texas. Her father would often take in unwed mothers for periods of time to provide them shelter.
9. She began singing in the church choir as a child. When she was eleven, she realized she hoped to achieve success as a singer while at a church retreat.
10. Simpson auditioned for The Mickey Mouse Club at the age of twelve, auditioning with a performance of “Amazing Grace” and dancing to “Ice Ice Baby” (1990).
11. She advanced through multiple rounds, eventually being a semi-finalist for the show alongside artists such as Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, and Justin Timberlake.
12. Simpson claimed that she became nervous about her final audition after seeing Aguilera perform, and she ultimately was not selected for the show.
13. Simpson resumed performing in her church choir, eventually being discovered by the head of a Christian music label.
14. He initially asked her for an audition, and immediately signed her after she performed “I Will Always Love You” (1973) by Dolly Parton.
15. She began working on her debut album with Proclaim Records, and began touring to promote the project.
16. Jessica’s father later claimed that she had to quit touring as the size of her breasts led to her being deemed too “sexual” for the genre.
17. Her debut album, Jessica, remained unreleased after Proclaim Records went bankrupt; despite this, her grandmother did personally fund a limited pressing of the album.
18. Shortly after this, Simpson landed several auditions as Jessica was sent to numerous labels and producers.
19. She ultimately caught the attention of Tommy Mottola, then-husband of Mariah Carey and the head of Columbia Records.
20. He went on to sign her to the label, claiming “She had a great little look and a great attitude, a fresh new face, and something a bit different than Britney and all of them; she could actually sing.”
21. Simpson began working on her debut album in Orlando, Florida.
22. Mottola hoped to market Simpson as a contrast to Spears and Aguilera, both of whom had launched successful careers focused on dancing and sexuality.
23. While working on her musical debut, Simpson enlisted her father Joe as her manager; her mother became her stylist.
24. While at a Christmas party in 1998, Simpson met 98 Degrees singer Nick Lachey, and the two began a romantic relationship; Lachey claimed that he left the party and proclaimed to his mother that he would marry Simpson some day.
25. Simpson signed a recording contract with Columbia Records when she was sixteen, and released her debut studio album in 1999.
26. The album sold over four million copies worldwide, and spawned the top three hit “I Wanna Love You Forever” (1999). Hoping to achieve further success with her second album, Simpson adopted a more mature image for the release of Irresistible (2001).
27. The album’s title track, which served as the lead single, became her second top twenty hit on the Billboard Hot 100. The album itself earned a gold certification from the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).
28. Simpson married singer Nick Lachey on October 26, 2002 after four years of dating.
29. The couple starred in the reality television series Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica (2003–05) on MTV, chronicling their marriage and careers. The show became a pop culture phenomenon, and made Simpson and her husband household names.
30. Her third studio album, In This Skin (2003), became her most successful album to date; it sold over seven million copies worldwide.
31. The album was aided in part due to the success of the single “With You” (2003), which topped the Mainstream Top 40 chart. She later released a Christmas themed album, ReJoyce: The Christmas Album (2004), which earned a gold certification from the RIAA.
32. She made her film debut as Daisy Duke in the film adaption of The Dukes of Hazard (2005); it was commercially successful, though received a negative critical reaction. She also recorded the song “These Boots Are Made for Walkin'” (2005) for the film, which went on to become her fourth top twenty hit on the Billboard Hot 100.
33. In November 2005, Simpson and Lachey confirmed they were separating; Simpson filed for divorce the following month.
34. It was later announced that Simpson had parted ways with Columbia, and signed a new recording contract with Epic Records to distribute her fifth studio album.
35. Simpson has sold over 30 million albums worldwide. Aside from her musical pursuits, she launched The Jessica Simpson Collection in 2005, a fashion line of clothing and other items.
36. The brand has gone on to earn over $1 billion in revenue, and is regarded as one of the most successful celebrity founded brands ever.
37. Her fifth studio album, A Public Affair (2006), saw a decline in sales for Simpson.
38. She later starred in the romantic comedy Employee of the Month (2006), a critical and commercial failure.
39. With the release of her sixth studio album, Simpson attempted to shift into the country music genre. The project was met harshly by critics, and failed to achieve commercial success.
40. Simpson went on to star in the reality television series The Price of Beauty (2010), and was a judge on two seasons of Fashion Star (2012–13).
41. She gave birth to her first child in 2012, and her second in 2013. The following year, she married Eric Johnson; the couple had been engaged since 2010.
42. Simpson has since announced work on her eighth studio album, slated for release in 2017.