Jef Bezos is an American technology and retail entrepreneur. Let’s see some amazing facts and trivia about him!
1.His full name is Jeffrey Preston Bezos.
2. He was born January 12, 1964.
3. Bezos was born as Jeffrey Preston Jorgensen in 1964 in Albuquerque, New Mexico, to Jacklyn (née Gise) and Ted Jorgensen.
4. His maternal ancestors were settlers who lived in Texas, and over the generations acquired a 25,000-acre (101 km2 or 39 miles2) ranch near Cotulla. As of March 2015, Bezos was among the largest landholders in Texas.
5. Bezos’s maternal grandfather was a regional director of the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission in Albuquerque.
6. He retired early to the ranch, where Bezos spent many summers as a youth, working with him.
7. At an early age, he displayed mechanical aptitude—as a toddler, he dismantled his crib with a screwdriver.
8. Jeff Bezos’s mother Jacklyn was 17 at the time of his birth and still in high school.
9. Her marriage to Jorgensen lasted a little more than a year. In April 1968 (when Jeff was 4), she married her second husband, Miguel Bezos, a Cuban who immigrated to the United States alone when he was 15 years old.
10. His family was originally from Villafrechós, a little town in Valladolid (Spain).
11. Miguel Bezos worked his way through the University of New Mexico and married Jacklyn, becoming Jeff Jorgensen’s step-father, who had his surname changed to Bezos. After the wedding the family moved to Houston (Texas) and Miguel worked as an engineer for Exxon.
12. The young Jeff attended River Oaks Elementary School in Houston from fourth to sixth grade. As a child, he spent summers working on his grandfather’s ranch in southern Texas.
13. Bezos often displayed scientific interests and technological proficiency; he once rigged an electric alarm to keep his younger siblings out of his room.
14. The family moved to Miami, Florida, where he attended Miami Palmetto High School. While in high school, he attended the Student Science Training Program at the University of Florida, receiving a Silver Knight Award in 1982.
15. He was high school valedictorian and a National Merit Scholar
16. Jeff Bezos graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Princeton University with Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees in electrical engineering and computer science.
17. While at Princeton, he was also elected to Tau Beta Pi. He served as the president of the Princeton chapter of the Students for the Exploration and Development of Space.
18. After graduating from Princeton in 1986, Bezos worked on Wall Street in the computer science fiel He then worked on building a network for international trade for a company known as Fitel.
19. He next worked at Bankers Trust.
20. Later on he also worked on Internet-enabled business opportunities at the hedge fund company D. E. Shaw & Co.
21. In 2000, Bezos founded Blue Origin, a human spaceflight startup company, partially as a result of his fascination with space travelincluding an early interest in developing “space hotels, amusement parks, colonies and small cities for 2 million or 3 million people orbiting the Earth.”[2The company was kept secret for a few years; it became publicly known only in 2006 when it purchased a sizable aggregation of land in west Texas for a launch and test facility.[
22. On August 5, 2013, Bezos announced his purchase of The Washington Post for $250 million in cash. Amazon.com was not to be involved
23. In March 2014, Bezos made his first significant change at The Washington Post and lifted the online paywall for subscribers of a number of U.S. local newspapers including The Dallas Morning News, the Honolulu Star-Advertiser, and the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.
24. Jeff Bezos revealed in 2016 that he conducted no due diligence when accepting the first offer from former Washington Post owner Donald E. Graham
25. Bezos was one of the first shareholders in Google, when he invested $250,000 in 1998. That $250,000 investment resulted in 3.3 million shares of Google stock worth about $3.1 billion today.
26. He has also invested in Unity Biotechnology, a life-extension research firm hoping to slow or stop the process of aging.
27. When markets opened on July 27, 2017, Bezos briefly became the world’s richest person, surpassing Bill Gates with a net worth of just over $90 billion. He lost the title later in the day when Amazon’s stock dropped, returning him to second place with a net worth just below $90 billion.