The House of Givenchy has lost today their mentor and creator Hubert de Givenchy!
Hubert de Givenchy died on Saturday at the age of 91 years and his family made the announcement via AFP!
These are some facts about Hubert de Givenchy:
1. He was born on the 21th of February 1927!
2. Hubert de Givenchy founded the House Givenchy in 1952.
3. He was French!
4. He was raised by his mother and his godmother because his father died from influenza!
5. His great grandfather was a set designer and designed sets for the Opera!
6. He moved to Paris at the age of 16 so he can attend École des Beaux-Arts for studies!
7. In his early years he worked beside Pierre Balmain and Christian Dior!
8. His first collection was named his first collection “Bettina Graziani”.
9. At the age of 25 he was a fashion designer that showed innovation and really progressive!
10. He designed the black dress Audrey Hepburn wore in Breakfast at Tiffany’s.
11. He created his first perfume collection for the actress!
12. He idolized Cristóbal Balenciaga!
13. In 1958 he created the iconic ‘Balloon coat’ and the ‘Baby Doll’ dress!
14. Hubert de Givenchy retired from the fashion label in 1995 and his successor was John Galliano!
15. He loved collecting 17th and 18th-century bronze and marble sculptures!
16. The House of Givenchy was split in 1981, with the perfume line going to Veuve Clicquot, while the fashion branch was acquired by LVMH in 1989!
17. Audrey Hepburn, Jane Holzer, Grace Kelly, Princess Salimah Aga Khan, Rachel Lambert Mellon, Jeanne Moreau, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, Empress Farah Pahlavi, Babe Paley, Lee Radziwill, Comtesse Jacqueline de Ribes, Nona Hendryx, Baroness Pauline de Rothschild, Frederica von Stade, Baroness Gaby Van Zuylen van Nijevelt, Diana Vreeland, Betsey Cushing Roosevelt Whitney, Baroness Sylvia de Waldner were some of his famous clients!
18. He died in his sleep at the Renaissance chateau near Paris!