Daryl Hall and John Oates, often referred to as Hall & Oates, are an American musical duo from Philadelphia.
Let’s find out some interesting facts about them!
1. Daryl Hall is generally the lead vocalist of the pairing.
2. John Oates primarily plays electric guitar and provides backing vocals.
3. The two write most of the songs they perform, either separately or in collaboration.
4. Daryl Franklin Hohl (born in Pottstown, Pennsylvania, on October 11, 1946) and John William Oates first met each other at the Adelphi Ballroom in Philadelphia in 1967.
5. At the time they met, each was heading his own musical group, Hall with The Temptones and Oates with The Masters.
6. They were there for a band competition when gunfire rang out between two rival gangs, and in trying to escape, they ran to the same service elevator.
7. On further discovering that they were interested in the same music and that both were attending Philadelphia’s Temple University, they started spending time together on a regular basis and eventually shared a number of apartments in the city.
8. One of the apartments they shared had “Hall & Oates” on the mailbox, which became the duo’s name.
9. It would take them another two years to form a musical duo, and three years after that, they signed to Atlantic Records and released their debut album.
10. The two didn’t start working together seriously until 1970 after Oates got back from an extended stay in Europe.
11. Hall and Oates have sold an estimated 40 million records throughout their career, making them the third best-selling music duo of all time.
12. Hall & Oates are best known for their six No. 1 hits on the Billboard Hot 100: “Rich Girl”, “Kiss on My List”, “Private Eyes”, “I Can’t Go for That (No Can Do)”, “Maneater”, and “Out of Touch”, as well as many other songs which charted in the Top 40.
13. In total, they had 34 chart hits on the US Billboard Hot 100, seven RIAA platinum albums, and six RIAA gold albums.
14. Because of that chart success, Billboard magazine named them the most successful duo of the rock era, surpassing The Everly Brothers.
15. In terms of the UK charts, the duo have enjoyed moderate success with two UK top ten albums, spending a total of one-hundred and seventeen weeks in the UK top 75 album charts as well as eighty-four weeks in the top seventy-five of the UK Singles Charts.
16. In 2003, Hall and Oates were inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame.
17. Billboard magazine had Hall & Oates at No. 15 on their list of the 100 greatest artists of all time and the No. 1 duo, while VH1 placed the duo as No. 99 on their list of the 100 greatest artists of all time.
18. They were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in April 2014.
19. On September 2, 2016 they received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.