Fifth Harmony is an American five-piece girl band formed on the second season of the The X Factor USA in July 2012. Let’s see some interesting facts and trivia about them!
1.Fifth Harmony is composed of five singers who all successfully auditioned as soloists on the second season of The X Factor USA in 2012, but failed to progress individually to the judges’ houses stage of the competition.
2. On 27 July 2012, they were formed as a group at the end of bootcamp by Simon Cowell and Demi Lovato, thus qualifying for the “Groups” category.
3. Originally, the group’s name was “LYLAS” (acronym for Love You Like a Sister), but another group called “The Lylas” (which consists of four of Bruno Mars’ sisters) claimed that the show stole their name.
4. Thereafter, LYLAS changed their name to 1432 (which stands for I Love You Too), which was announced on the first live show on October 31, 2012, during which 1432 performed “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” by Taylor Swift. Simon Cowell and L.A. Reid were critical of the new name, and Cowell suggested that the group be renamed again.
5. During the first live results show on November 1, 2012, 1432 performed “Skyscraper” by Demi Lovato in a sing-off with Sister C. Cowell decided to send 1432 through to the Top 12 and he announced that they would be renamed by the viewers online. The name chosen by the public was announced: “Fifth Harmony”.
6. Approximately one month following the X Factor season 2 finale, on January 14, 2013, Fifth Harmony was voted the “Next Pop Superstar of 2013” by Popdust Magazine.
7. On January 17, Fifth Harmony was officially signed by their X Factor mentor Simon Cowell’s record label Syco Music, in a joint deal with fellow X Factor judge L.A. Reid’s label Epic Records.
8. Their debut extended play Better Together was released October 22, selling 28,000 copies in its first week and peaking on the Billboard 200 at number six.
9. In early 2014, Fifth Harmony confirmed reports that recording had begun for their full-length debut album with record producers Julian Bunetta, Daylight, Joe London and multi-instrumentalist songwriter Ricky Reed.
10. The album’s lead single, “Boss”, released on July 7, 2014, peaked at number 43 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart with first-week sales of 75,000. and received a platinum certification by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) for selling a million digital downloads and streams combined in the United States.
11. The third single from the album, “Worth It”, featuring American rapper Kid Ink, became the album’s most successful single, peaking at number 12 on the Billboard Hot 100,and receiving a triple platinum certification by the RIAA.
12. “Worth It” also became the group’s first international successful single, charting in the top ten charts in thirteen countries and receiving certifications from twelve countries.
13. On December 11, 2015, the group received the “Group of the Year” award at Billboard Women in Music 2015 ceremony
14. Fifth Harmony list Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, the Spice Girls and Destiny’s Child as their main influences.
15. Fifth Harmony supports a number of charities and organizations whose initiatives are focused on sponsoring underprivileged teenagers and promoting youth empowerment. In November 2013 they partnered with the Ryan Seacrest Foundation, and visited patients at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
16. Fifth Harmony has a partnership with Girl Scouts of America, performing a number of free concerts for young girls who have participated in various fund-raising and charitable activities for the organisation. Fifth Harmony has performed concerts in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Ohio and Virginia.
17. The group participated in Goodwill Industries’ 2013 Fall Haul Donation Challenge in which schools in Wisconsin and Illinois were encouraged to donate as many items as possible to the charity organization; the school with the most donations won a private live Fifth Harmony performance.
18. It was revealed in January 2014 that Fifth Harmony is the new face of the Aéropostale and Do Something Teens for Jeans campaign. They recorded a public service announcement encouraging community-driven donations of “gently worn” denims to the campaign in aid of homeless teens.
19. Fifth Harmony were also announced as ambassadors for The Cybersmile Foundation, an anti-cyberbullying initiative, in May 2015.
20. Born prematurely herself, Ally Brooke became a spokesperson for the mother and child health organization March of Dimes in November 2015, in honor of Prematurity Awareness Month and World Prematurity Day.
21. In December 2013, Fifth Harmony was revealed as the faces of Jovani Fashions’ Prom 2014 line. This included a feature spread in Seventeen and a competition with the prize of having the girl group perform at the winner’s high school prom.
22. Ally Brooke Hernandez was born in San Antonio, Texas on July 7, 1993 to Jerry and Patricia Hernandez. Ally has an older brother named Brandon. She is of Mexican descent.
23. Ally auditioned for The X Factor in Austin, Texas, singing a track from contemporary Christian and Latin pop singer Jaci Velasquez.
24. During a recap of Season 2 of the X Factor, the Huffington Post described her audition as one of the highlights of the season, stating that “it was a quiet but controlled performance, hitting some amazing grace notes.
25. Normani Kordei Hamilton was born in Atlanta, Georgia on May 31, 1996 to parents Derrick and Andrea Hamilton.
26. She spent her early years in New Orleans. Her family relocated to Houston, Texas after Hurricane Katrina in 2005.
27. Normani has two older half-sisters, Arielle and Ashlee.
28. Normani Hamilton has been performing since she was three, and was an award-winning dancer and gymnast before recording her first single at age 13.
29. She has also had a small role in the HBO series Treme.
30. Normani Hamilton considered herself a soul and gospel singer until she was incorporated in a girl group. Before The X Factor, she competed in the Miss Texas competition and made it to the final but decided to audition for the reality music competition.
31. Like most of the other members, Hamilton’s first bootcamp wasn’t shown. She credits Beyoncé as her main artistic influence.
32. Lauren Michelle Jauregui was born in Miami, Florida on June 27, 1996 to Michael and Clara Jauregui.
33. She has two siblings; Taylor and Chris.
34. Lauren Michelle Jauregui is of Cuban descent.
35. She mentions Journey, Paramore, The Script, Alicia Keys, and Christina Aguilera as her influences.
36. At 16, Jauregui auditioned for The X Factor in Greensboro, North Carolina with the song “If I Ain’t Got You” by Alicia Keys. She was given four “yeses” and allowed to move on to bootcamp. She was then eliminated, but later was brought back to form what is now Fifth Harmony.
37. Karla Camila Cabello was born in Cuba on March 3, 1997 to Alejandro and Sinuhe Cabello.
38. She has a sister named Sofía. Her father is a Mexican and her mother is a Cuban.
39. By the time she was five years old Cabello had lived in Havana and Mexico, before permanently relocating to Miami, Florida.
40.While growing up she listened to Hispanic artists such as Celia Cruz and Alejandro Fernandez.
41. Karla Camila Cabello auditioned for The X Factor in North Carolina. She first auditioned for the producers’ part of the audition and got the call back saying that she will audition for the judges as an alternative, meaning that if after the show, if they were to have time, she would be able to audition.
42. After her audition, she got a ‘yes’ from all four judges. After elimination during bootcamp, Cabello was called back to the stage along with four other female contestants to form the girl group that would later become known as Fifth Harmony.
43. In November 2015 Cabello released a duet with Canadian singer Shawn Mendes titled “I Know What You Did Last Summer”.The song has charted at number 20 in the US and 18 in Canada.
44. Dinah Jane Hansen was born in Santa Ana, California on June 22, 1997 to parents Gordon and Milika Fot’aika.
45. She is the oldest of six siblings. She is of Polynesian,Tongan and Danish descent.
46. Dinah Jane Hansen auditioned for The X Factor singing “If I Were a Boy” by Beyoncé, during which L.A. Reid stated that she “took the song to places that even Beyoncé didn’t”.
47. She cites Ciara, Beyoncé, Leona Lewis, Mariah Carey and Etta James as her musical influences.
48. During the final round of bootcamp, Hansen sang “Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You)” by Kelly Clarkson with another contestant. She forgot part of the song throughout the performance. Due to this, Hansen was eliminated as a solo performer, but was later brought back into the competition to form Fifth Harmony.
49. In 2015, Hansen was considered for the role of the main character in the then-upcoming film Moana. The role eventually went to Auli’i Cravalho.
50. Ally Brooke’s height is 1.50m
51. Normani Kordei Hamilton’ s height is 1.63m
52. Lauren Michelle Jauregui’ s height is 1.63m
53. Karla Camila Cabello’s height is 1.57m
54. Dinah Jane Hansen’ height is 1.73m
55. Camila and Lauren became friends on the first day of bootcamp.