Elle King is an American singer, songwriter, and actress.
Let’s see some fun facts about her!
1. Tanner Elle Schneider was born July 3, 1989 in Los Angeles, California, United States.
2. Her parents are London King, a former model and former SNL cast member Rob Schneider.
3. She is of Jewish, Filipino, English, and Scottish ancestry.
4. Her parents divorced and her mother remarried.
5. She grew up living in southern Ohio, between Wellston and Columbus.
6. When she was nine, her stepfather, Justin Tesa, gave her a record by all-girl hard-rock band The Donnas; she views this as the pivotal moment when she decided she wanted to be a musician.
7. Around this time, she also started listening to The Runaways and Blondie, and she made her acting debut alongside her father in the movie Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo.
8. hree years later, at 13, King started playing guitar, immersing herself in the music of Otis Redding, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Etta James, Aretha Franklin, Al Green, Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, AC/DC (she has the band’s logo tattooed on her bicep), and Earl Scruggs.
9. Her interest in the country and bluegrass of Hank Williams and Earl Scruggs inspired her to learn the banjo.
10. During her teenage years, she attended Buck’s Rock camp in Connecticut, where she starred successfully in a number of musicals. King plays guitar and banjo.
11. King spent her teenage years in New York City, but she has also lived in Los Angeles, Philadelphia, and Copenhagen, Denmark.
12. Upon graduating from Elisabeth Irwin High School, she moved to Philadelphia to matriculate at University of the Arts, studying painting and film.
13. During these college years, she had an artistic epiphany seeing a live show where the band onstage used a banjo purely for accompaniment purposes, eschewing the bluegrass and country musical vocabulary traditionally associated with the instrument. King then began to use the banjo as a compositional tool.
14. After college, she briefly lived in Copenhagen and Los Angeles, before moving back to New York where she currently resides in Bushwick, Brooklyn.
15. In 1999, she debuted as an actress in Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo.
16. In 2005, at age 16, she started gigging around New York City, using a fake ID to gain entry to the local nightclubs.
17. King immersed herself in the local songwriting scene and honed her performance skills by busking around town.
18. King was then signed by newly appointed RCA Chairman Peter Edge. Her debut single “Good To Be A Man,” was released on March 13, 2012, as a digital download and also as a 7″ vinyl single.
19. King has been spotlighted as an “Artist to Watch in 2012” by Esquire Magazine and Refinery 29 and has made television appearances on VH1 Big Morning Buzz Live and the Late Show with David Letterman.
20. King has played Austin, Texas, at the South by Southwest Festival, as well as the Hammersmith Apollo.
21. She has also taped her own PBS Arts In Context special for KLRU Austin at the Austin City Limits recording studio.
22. She has toured with Of Monsters and Men, Train and Michael Kiwanuka and has opened for Dashboard Confessional, Dropkick Murphys, Dry the River, James Bay and Ed Sheeran.
23. In September 2014, King released “Ex’s & Oh’s,” which serves as the lead single off her debut album. She released the album, Love Stuff on February 17, 2015.
24. In 2016, her single “Good Girls” featured on the Ghostbusters soundtrack and played over the movie’s credits.
In 2016, she teamed up with country singer Dierks Bentley for the song “Different for Girls”. They performed this song at the 50th CMA Awards on November 2, 2016 where she and Bentley won the award for Musical Event of the Year.
25. She has stated numerous times on her social media accounts that her natural hair color is pink.
26. She started dating a fan of Scottish football team Rangers named Andrew (Fergie) Ferguson in January 2016. The couple got engaged in February 2016, on a sailing trip around the San Francisco Bay two weeks after they started dating.
27. They married on February 14, 2016, after 3 weeks of dating and confirmed their intent to divorce on May 15, 2017.
28. Elle was featured on TLC’s “Say Yes to the Dress” in February 2017.
29. She has several tattoos on her body (both arms and her left breast). She also worked at a tattoo company called East Side Ink.