Christina Grimmie was an American singer, songwriter and YouTuber known for her participation in the NBC singing competition The Voice and for her covers of hit songs by contemporary pop musicians. In June 2011, she released her debut EP, Find Me. Her studio album With Love was released in 2013. A second EP, Side A, was released in 2016.
Here’s some facts about her!
1. Christina Victoria Grimmie was born March 12, 1994.
2. She was born to Tina and Albert Grimmie.
3. Her mother worked as a receptionist until she was diagnosed with breast cancer, while her father worked at Verizon Communications as of 2014.
4. Her older brother Marcus served as Christina’s road manager during her performances.
5. She was of Italian and Romanian descent.
6. Grimmie grew up in Marlton, New Jersey, where she attended Baptist Regional Elementary School and Cherokee High School.
7. Grimmie identified as a Christian.
8. Her family attended Fellowship Alliance Chapel in Medford before they moved to Los Angeles.
9. Grimmie was homeschooled for her junior year in 2010.
10. Her father noticed Grimmie’s talent for singing when she was six years old, and she started playing the piano at age ten.
11. Despite having received piano lessons, Grimmie said she played by ear.
12. Grimmie was an animal rights activist and participated in fundraising events for the Humane Society of the United States.
13. The Christina Grimmie Animal Medical Fund was created in her honor.
14. In 2014, Grimmie took part in season 6 of The Voice and finished in third place.
15. Adam Levine, her coach on the show, announced in the finale that regardless of the results he would sign her to his label 222 Records.
16. Lil Wayne also offered to sign her to his label, Young Money Entertainment.
17. She was signed with Island Records for a short time before being dropped.
18. Grimmie died on June 10, 2016, of gunshot wounds inflicted in a targeted attack that followed her concert performance in Orlando, Florida.
19. She released her first record at age 17.
20. Grimmie released the EP Find Me in 2011, about three years before competing on The Voice.
21. It debuted at number 35 on the Billboard 200 chart and contains the hit songs “Advice” and “Liar Liar.”
22. Grimmie released her first album, With Love, in 2013.
23. Her second LP, Side A, was release this past February.
24. She was a YouTube star. Grimmie began posting videos of herself singing cover songs on YouTube.
25. As of Saturday, she has more than 3.2 million subscribers.
26. Grimmie opened for Gomez on her Stars Dance tour in 2013. Gomez posted a selfie of her and the late singer Saturday.
27. Earlier this year, Grimmie opened for Platten on her Wildfire tour before setting off to tour with pop rock group Before You Exit.
28. She was shot dead at the band’s concert in Orlando, Florida.
30. In what marked her last published interview before her death, posted on Tuesday, Grimmie talked toPopCrush about her future music plans: “Right now I’m focusing on writing, I’m pushing Side A for this tour and want to play it for some people,” she said. “I want to get a full length album out this year. You would be the first that I’d be telling actually, I haven’t really said much about it. With that being said, I definitely want to do that because there’s so much great music being made right now.”
31. Grimmie was discovered in 2010 after her cover video of “Party in the USA” became a YouTube hit. She was only 16 years-old.
32. She came in third on The Voice season six.
33. In an interview posted on her website, Christina said she would be a manatee if she could be an animal. But she was also a dog person, saying she was allergic to cats.
34. She loved video games. She said, “The Legend of Zelda,” was her favorite. But she also liked “Majora’s Mask” and “Ocarina.”
35. Christina was a self-described “goofygoober”.