Chris Brown is an American singer, songwriter, and dancer.
Let’s find out some fun facts about him!
1. Christopher Maurice “Chris” Brown was born May 5, 1989 in the small town of Tappahannock, Virginia.
2. His parents are Joyce Hawkins, a former day care center director, and Clinton Brown, a corrections officer at a local prison.
3. He has an older sister, Lytrell Bundy, who works in a bank.
4. Music was always present in Brown’s life beginning in his childhood. He would listen to soul albums that his parents owned, and eventually began to show interest in the hip-hop scene.
5. He is African American, and has also said that he has Pamunkey Native American ancestry.
6. Brown taught himself to sing and dance at a young age and often cites Michael Jackson as his inspiration.
7. He began to perform in his church choir and in several local talent shows. When he mimicked an Usher performance of “My Way”, his mother recognized his vocal talent, and they began to look for the opportunity of a record deal.
8. At the same time, Brown was going through personal issues. His parents had divorced, and his mother’s boyfriend terrified him by subjecting her to domestic violence.
9. At age 13, Brown was discovered by Hitmission Records, a local production team that visited his father’s gas station while searching for new talent.
10. Hitmission’s Lamont Fleming provided voice coaching for Brown, and the team helped to arrange a demo package and approached contacts in New York to seek a record deal.
11. The negotiations with Def Jam continued for two months, and Davis then lost her job due to a corporate merger. Brown asked her to be his manager, and once Davis accepted, she promoted the singer to labels such as Jive Records, J-Records and Warner Bros. Records.
12. Having signed with Jive Records in 2004, Brown released his self-titled debut studio album the following year. It peaked at number two on the US Billboard 200 and was later certified double platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), selling an overall three million copies worldwide.
13. With his first single “Run It!” peaking atop the US Billboard Hot 100, Brown became the first male artist as a lead since Diddy in 1997 to have his debut single top the chart.
14. His second album Exclusive (2007) spawned his second Hot 100 number one “Kiss Kiss”, in addition to “With You” and “Forever”. The album was also certified double platinum by the RIAA.
15. In addition to his solo commercial success, Brown has been featured on several singles such as “No Air”, a duet with singer Jordin Sparks, “Shortie like Mine” with the rapper Bow Wow and “Shawty Get Loose” alongside Lil Mama and T-Pain. The songs have peaked at number three, number nine and number ten on the US Billboard Hot 100 respectively.
16. In 2009, Brown received significant media attention after pleading guilty to felony assault of his then girlfriend, singer Rihanna; he was sentenced to five years of probation and six months of community service.
17. His third album Graffiti was released later that year, and included the top-twenty single “I Can Transform Ya”. Brown’s fourth album F.A.M.E. (2011) became his first to top the Billboard 200; it spawned the singles “Yeah 3x”, “Look at Me Now”, and “Beautiful People”. F.A.M.E. earned Brown his first Grammy Award for Best R&B Album at the 54th Grammy Awards.
18. His fifth album Fortune was released in 2012. However, after the release of Exclusive, Brown’s albums have not been well received commercially or by music critics, with the exception of X, which received a normalized rating of 63.
19. Brown’s seventh studio album Royalty was released on December 18, 2015.
20. Apart from his work in the music industry, Brown has pursued an acting career.
21. In 2007, he made his on-screen feature film debut in Stomp the Yard, and appeared as a guest on the television series The O.C..
22. Other films Brown has appeared in, include This Christmas (2007), Takers (2010), Think Like a Man (2012), and Battle of the Year (2013).
23. Throughout his career, Brown has won several awards, including 14 BET Awards, 5 Billboard Music Awards, and 5 Soul Train Music Awards. According to Billboard, Brown has the seventh most Hot 100 entries on the chart with 82.
24. Though they became friends in 2005, Brown’s romantic relationship with Rihanna reportedly began in 2008, and ended for the first time with the aforementioned domestic violence case in 2009.
25. Shortly after his relationship with Rihanna ended, Brown briefly dated Girlicious member Natalie Mejia.
26. In 2011, he began dating aspiring model Karrueche Tran. However, throughout 2012 there was persistent media speculation that Brown was rekindling his relationship with Rihanna, though he remained involved with Tran and under probation in the Rihanna domestic violence case.
27. In October 2012, Brown announced that he had ended his relationship with Tran because he didn’t “want to see her hurt over my friendship with Rihanna.” The day after the announcement, Brown released a video entitled “The Real Chris Brown”, which features images of himself, Tran, and Rihanna, as Brown wonders, “Is there such thing as loving two people? I don’t know if it’s possible, but I feel like that.”
28. In January 2013, Rihanna confirmed that she and Brown had resumed their romantic relationship, stating, “When you add up the pieces from the outside, it’s not the cutest puzzle in the world. You see us walking somewhere, driving somewhere, in the studio, in the club, and you think you know. But it’s different now. We don’t have those types of arguments anymore. We talk about shit. We value each other. We know exactly what we have now, and we don’t want to lose that.” Speaking of Brown, Rihanna also said, “He’s not the monster everybody thinks. He’s a good person. He has a fantastic heart. He’s giving and loving. And he’s fun to be around. That’s what I love about him – he always makes me laugh. All I want to do is laugh, really – and I do that with him.” However, she also declared that she would walk away if Brown showed a hint of his past violent behavior towards her again.
29. In a May 2013 interview, Brown stated that he and Rihanna had broken up again.
30. In March 2015, news broke that Brown was father to a baby girl named Royalty, which he confirmed on Instagram in April.
31. In May 2016, Brown won joint custody of his daughter Royalty. A judge denied Nia Guzman’s request to impede Brown’s custody of 1-year old daughter Royalty.
32. In February 2017, Karrueche Tran filed a restraining order against Brown, claiming he threatened to kill her. He denied these allegations, but previously admitted to stalking.