Adele is an English singer and songwriter. Let’s see some amazing facts and trivia you didn’t know about her!
1.Her full name is Adele Laurie Blue Adkins.
2. She was born on 5 May 1988.
3. She gratuated from the BRIT School for Performing Arts and Technology in 2006.
4. Gratuating she was given a recording contract by XL Recordings after a friend posted her demo on Myspace the same year.
5. She began singing at age four and asserts that she became obsessed with voices.
6. She was a classmate of Leona Lewis and Jessie J
7. Growing up, Adele spent most of her time singing rather than reading; the last book she read was Roald Dahl’s Matilda when she was six years old.
8. In 1997, at the age of nine, Adele and her mother, who by then had found work as a furniture maker and an adult-learning activities organiser, relocated to Brighton on the south coast of England.
9. In 1999, two years later, she and her mother moved back to London; first to Brixton, and then to neighbouring district West Norwood, in south London.
10. West Norwood is the subject for Adele’s first record, “Hometown Glory”, which she wrote and composed in 2004, when she was 16.
11. Her debut album, 19, was released in 2008 to commercial and critical success.
12. By 2008, Adele had become the headliner and performed an acoustic set, in which she was supported by Damien Rice.
13. It is certified seven times platinum in the UK, and double platinum in the US.
14. An appearance she made on Saturday Night Live in late 2008 boosted her career in the US.
15. At the 51st Annual Grammy Awards in 2009, Adele received the awards for Best New Artist and Best Female Pop Vocal Performance.
16. Adele released her second studio album, 21, in early 2011.
17. The album has been certified 16 times platinum in the UK, and is the fourth best-selling album in the UK of all time.
18. In the US it has held the top position longer than any album since 1985, and is certified Diamond.
19 The album has sold 31 million copies worldwide.
20. She is the first woman in the history of the Billboard Hot 100 to have three simultaneous top 10 singles as a lead artist.
21. She is the first female artist to simultaneously have two albums in the top five of the Billboard 200 and two singles in the top five of the Billboard Hot 100.
22. 21 is the longest-running number one album by a female solo artist in the history of the UK and US Album Charts.
23. Adele released her third studio album, 25, in 2015. It became the year’s best-selling album and broke first week sales records in the UK and US.
24. The lead single, “Hello”, became the first song in the US to sell over one million digital copies within a week of its release.
25. In 2011 and 2012, Billboard named Adele Artist of the Year.
26. In 2011, she began dating Simon Konecki, and in October 2012, Adele gave birth to their son, Angelo.
27. In 2012, she was listed at number five on VH1’s 100 Greatest Women in Music.
28. Adele came in sixth on Forbes’ list of highest paid celebrities under the age of 30 in 2012.
29. Time magazine named her one of the most influential people in the world in 2012 and 2016.
30. With sales of more than 100 million records, Adele is one of the best-selling recording artists in the world.
31. She used to live in a mansion consisting of ten bedrooms, but sold it due to the fact that only nine of them would be used.
32. Adele is a supporter of MusiCares, a charity set up by the Grammys which helps musicians in need. She has sung at many charity events since 2007, and also supports SANDS.
33. She is also known for her dislike of flying and bouts of homesickness when away from her native London.
34. In 2012 she won in all six categories of the Grammys awards for which she was nominated, making her the second female artist in Grammy history, after Beyoncé, to win that many categories in a single night.
35. The video of “Hello”, released on 22 October, was viewed over 27.7 million times on YouTube in its first 24 hours, breaking the Vevo record for the most views in a day, surpassing the 20.1 million views for “Bad Blood” by Taylor Swift.
36. On 28 October, news outlets, including BBC News, reported that “Hello” was being viewed on YouTube an average one million times an hour.”Hello” went on to become the fastest video to hit one billion views on YouTube, which it achieved after 88 days.
37. The song debuted at number one in the UK Singles Chart on 30 October, with first week sales of 330,000 copies, making it the biggest-selling number one single in three years.
38. On 27 November, 25 debuted at number one on the UK Albums Chart and became the fastest selling album in UK chart history with over 800,000 copies sold in its first week.
39. 25 also broke first week sales records in Canada and New Zealand.
40. 25 became the best-selling album of 2015 in a number of countries, including Australia, the UK and the US, where it spent seven consecutive weeks at number one in each country, before being displaced by the late David Bowie’s final album, Blackstar.
41. Adele has cited the Spice Girls as a major influence in regard to her love and passion for music, stating that “they made me what I am today”.
42. She stated she was left “heartbroken” when her favourite Spice Girl, Geri Halliwell aka “Ginger Spice”, left the group.
42. She has also stated that growing up, she listened to Sinéad O’Connor, The Cure, Dusty Springfield, Celine Dion, and Annie Lennox.
43. One of Adele’s earliest influences was Gabrielle, who Adele has admired since the age of five.
44. After moving to south London, she became interested in R&B artists such as Aaliyah, Destiny’s Child, and Mary J. Blige.
45. Adele says that one of the most defining moments in her life was when she watched Pink perform at Brixton Academy in London.
46. Adele credits Amy Winehouse and her 2003 album Frank for inspiring her to take up the guitar, stating, “If it wasn’t for Amy and Frank, one 100 per cent I wouldn’t have picked up a guitar, I wouldn’t have written “Daydreamer” or “Hometown [Glory]” and I wrote “Someone Like You” on the guitar too.
47. Adele was criticized by celebrities such as Karl Lagerfeld and Joan Rivers for her weight, but has gained the support of many others, by stating that she is happy with being heavyset and would only change if it affected her health or sex life.
48. Politically she is a supporter of the Labour Party, stating in 2011 that she was a “Labour girl through and through.
49. In May 2011, she advocated a lower tax rate for high-income earners; a view counter to that of the Labour Party.
50. She is regarded as an icon for the LGBT community. On 12 June 2016 an emotional Adele dedicated her show in Antwerp, Belgium to the victims of the mass shooting at a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida earlier that day, adding “The LGBTQ community, they’re like my soul mates since I was really young, so I’m very moved by it.