Tina Turner is an American-born Swiss singer-songwriter, dancer, actress, and author.
The singer is known as one of the Queens of rock and her success is known all over the world. Her life was never easy but she managed to leave the past behind and created a career that alot of singers would be jealous of.
These are some facts you should know about Tina Turner:
- She was born in November 26, 1939.
- Her real name is Anna Mae Bullock.
- Tina Turner was born in Nutbush, Tennessee.
- She is of African-American descent, with approximately 33% European and 1% Native American ancestry.
- When she was eleven years old, her mother left her to avoid the abusive relationship she had with the singers father.
- She used to be onthe female basketball team at Carver High School in Brownsville.
- When she was 17 years old she took the microphone from Ike Turners hands and «blew» the crowds mind at a club when she started singing. Ike Turner was amazed with her rough voice.
- “A Fool in Love” was released in July 1960 and it was the first song she recorded with Ike.
- She and Ike became a couple and got married in 1962 in Tijuana.
- Tina Turner went through a lot with Ike Turner, and decided in 1976 to file for divorce.
- For almost two years after her divorce, she received food stamps, lived with friends, and played small clubs to pay off debts.
- Tina Turner had two biological children.Craig, by Raymond Hill, and Ronnie, by Ike Turner.
- unfortunately, Craig past away after committing suicide.
- She became an adherent of Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism in 1971. Nam Myoho Renge Kyo was the spiritual chant that helped her to endure during difficult times.
- «What’s Love Got to Do with It», «Private Dancer »,«Typical Male», «The Best», «I Don’t Wanna Fight», and «GoldenEye» are some of the songs you should listen!
- Her solo career started in 1983 when she released the hit single «Let’s Stay Together».
- Α biographical film was released in 1993 with the name «What’s Love Got to Do with It». In the movie we see all the struggles she had to overcome in order to become what she is today. Powerful and wonderful.
- She has won has won 12 Grammy Awards.
- She is the only female artist to garner concurrent Grammy nominations for pop, rock, and R&B.
- Rolling Stone ranked Tina Turner 63rd on their list of the 100 greatest artists of all time.
- She is married to Erwin Bach.
- she has been referred to as The Queen of Rock ‘n’ Roll.
- Tina Turner has sold more concert tickets than any other solo performer in history, according to Guinness World Records.
- On April 22, 2013, she became a citizen of Switzerland and was issued a Swiss passport.
- She starred next to Mel Gobson for the movie Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.