Poetry all around the world is celebrated today and the 21th of March is the day that marks it!
World Poetry Day is celebrated on the 21th of March so people can remember to read, write, promote and teach poetry and UNESCO declared this special day in 1999.
Through the centuries poems have being created to express feelings! Romantic poems, poems about losing someone, poems about war and poems about loneliness! Oh, you can find everything when it comes to poetry! And especially when you are in love!
Great poets such as William Shakespeare, Walt Whitman, Edgar Allan Poe, Elizabeth Bishop, Charles Bukowski have created master pieces that will live on for ever!
These are some facts you should know about poetry!
- Poetry is a form of literature that uses aesthetic and rhythm qualities of language!
- Poems has a huge history! Early poems were created from folk songs such as the Chinese Shijing, or from a need to retell oral epics, as with the Sanskrit Vedas, Zoroastrian Gathas, and the Homeric epics, the Iliad and the Odyssey.
- Forms and conventions are used in poetry to suggest differential interpretation to words, or to evoke emotive responses!
- U can find a lot of metaphors in poems!
- The Epic of Gilgamesh, comes from the 3rd millennium BCE in Sumer and it is the oldest epic poem!
- Rap is concidered to by synchronized poetry
- “Haiku” is a traditional form of Japanese poetry and it is one of the most famous forms!
- Poets have their own day too! In th 21th of August!
- In Layamon’s medieval epic poem in 1275, Brut, we can find the word ”unfriend” !
- An Indian epic poem called Mahabharata is the longest poem in the world. It has around 1.8 million words.
- The oldest poem in English is ”Beowulf”! It was written in the 8th century!