Queen is a British rock band that experienced the full meaning of the ”rock ages” in the ’80s and is still going!
The lead singer of Queen was Freddie Mercury, but unfortunately he died on the 24 of November 1991.
Since then the group has stayed close and they give concerts with other famous singers like Adam Lambert and Lady Gaga so they can continue the legacy of the band!
These are some facts you should now about the band!
- The were formed in in London in 1970.
- Queen was created by Freddie Mercury (lead vocals, piano), Brian May (lead guitar, vocals), Roger Taylor (drums, vocals), and John Deacon (bass guitar).
- They started with a ruff rock sound but quickly changed it so they can be more ”attractive” for the radio!
- Freddie Mercury came up with the name of the band!
- Brian May, who was a student at London’s Imperial College in 1968, and Tim Staffell decide to start the band.
- Freddie Mercury designed Queen’s logo, called the Queen crest.
- Queen signed to a deal with Trident/EMI in 1973 and by July of that year, they released their eponymous debut album.
- In 1974 the album Queen II, was released .
- A month into the band’s first US tour opening for Mott the Hoople in May 1974, Brian May collapsed and was diagnosed with hepatitis, forcing the cancellation of their remaining dates.
- ” Sheer Heart Attack” was the third album of Queen and it went gold in the USA.
- “We Will Rock You” and the rock ballad “We Are the Champions”, became enduring international sports anthems and people still listen to these songs!
- Michael Jackson attended a concert in Los Angeles and suggested to Freddie Mercury that the song “Another One Bites the Dust” should be released as a single, and he was right because it stayed on the charts for three weeks.
- They have played all around the world and all of their concerts were sold out!
- Queen worked with David Bowie on the single “Under Pressure”.
- The bands first compilation album, titled Greatest Hits, is the best-selling album in UK Chart history, and has spent 450 weeks in the UK Album Chart.
- Freddie Mercury was diagnosed with AIDS in 1987 but he denied it when the media asked him.
- Queen continued to make albums and book show, even though Mercury was exhausted by his illness.
- Some of the best songs that Queen have ever presented are: ”Bohemian Rhapsody”, ”Radio Gaga”, ”We will Rock you”, ”Show Must Go on”, ”Another one bites the dust”, ”I want to break free”.
- Four years after Freddie’s death, the album ” Made in Heaven” was finally released and it featured the artist(1995).
- Queen’s star is located on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6358 Hollywood Boulevard.
- Queen and Paul Rodgers embarked on a world tour, which was the first time Queen toured since their last tour with Freddie Mercury in 1986.
- Also, Queen and Paul Rodgers performed at the Nelson Mandela 90th Birthday Tribute held in Hyde Park.
- Queen drew influence from the Beatles, the Kinks, Cream, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and others.
- In a poll conducted by the Guinness World Records British Hit Singles Book, the song ”Bohemian Rhapsody” by Queen was voted “the UK’s favorite hit of all time” , in 2002.
- The band members are going to be able to see their career featured on the ”big” screen , because a movie has been created!
- The movie is called ”Bohemian Rhapsody”, and it will focus on Queen’s formative years and the period leading up to the celebrated performance at the 1985 Live Aid concert.