Neymar is a Brazilian professional footballer who plays as a forward for Spanish club FC Barcelona and the Brazil national team.
Let’s see some interesting facts about him!
1. Neymar da Silva Santos Júnior was born 5 February 1992 in Mogi das Cruzes, São Paulo.
2. His parents are Neymar Santos, Sr. and Nadine da Silva.
3. He inherited his name from his father, who is a former footballer and became his son’s advisor as Neymar’s talents began to grow.
4. Neymar comments on his father’s role “My father has been by my side since I was little. He takes care of things, my finances and my family.
5. Growing up, Neymar combined his love of futsal with street football.
6. In 2003, Neymar moved with his family to São Vicente, where he began playing for youth side Portuguesa Santista.Then, later in 2003, they moved to Santos, where Neymar joined Santos FC.
7. With the success of his youth career and added income, the family bought their first property, a house next to the Vila Belmiro.
8. Their quality of family life improved, as at age 15, Neymar was earning 10,000 reais per month and at 16, 125,000 reais per month.
9. At 17, he signed his first full professional contract, was upgraded to the Santos first team, and began signing his first sponsorship deals.
10. He helped the club win two successive Campeonato Paulista championships, a Copa do Brasil, and the 2011 Copa Libertadores, Santos’ first continental title since 1963.
11. Neymar was twice named the South American Footballer of the Year, in 2011 and 2012, before relocating to Europe to join Barcelona.
12. As part of Barça’s attacking trio with Lionel Messi and Luis Suárez, he won the continental treble of La Liga, the Copa del Rey, and the UEFA Champions League in the 2014–15 season, followed the next year by the domestic double. He came third for the FIFA Ballon d’Or in 2015.
13. With 50 goals in 74 matches for Brazil since debuting at age 18, Neymar is the fourth-highest goalscorer for his national team.
14. He was a key player in Brazil’s victories at the 2011 South American Youth Championship, which he finished as the leading goalscorer, and the 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup, where he won the Golden Ball as player of the tournament.
15. His participation in the 2014 FIFA World Cup and 2015 Copa América was cut short by injury and a suspension respectively, but the next year he captained Brazil to their first Olympic gold medal in men’s football at the 2016 Summer Olympics.
16. Known for his dribbling, finishing, and ability with both feet, Neymar has earned comparisons to former Brazil and Santos forward Pelé.
17. Off the pitch, he ranks among the world’s most prominent sportsmen.
18. SportsPro named him the most marketable athlete in the world in 2012 and 2013, and ESPN cited him as the world’s fourth-most famous athlete in 2016.
19. Neymar has a son, Davi Lucca, with former girlfriend Carolina Dantas. Neymar was quoted as saying “I cried when I learned that I would be his father. At first, I felt fear. Then joy. It is a new responsibility and I am now enjoying it.”
20. He later described the birth of his baby boy as “2.8 kilograms of pure happiness” and also said “Mother and baby are in good condition just after childbirth”.
21. He has a very close sibling relationship with his sister Rafaella Beckran, and cemented this closeness by tattooing her face on his arm, while Beckran tattooed her brothers eyes on her arm.
22. Neymar is a Christian.
23. Neymar has spoken about his faith saying, “Life only makes sense when our highest ideal is to serve Christ!”
24. Neymar reportedly also tithes (10%) his income to his church and has named Kaká as his religious role model.
25. Each year, Neymar organizes a charity match with fellow Brazilian footballer Nenê in Nenê’s hometown of Jundiaí, with the purpose of raising food for needy families.
26. He is 5′ 9″ tall (about 1.75 metres).