Jinder Mahal is an Indo-Canadian professional wrestler signed to WWE, where he performs on the SmackDown brand and is the current WWE Champion in his first reign.
Let’s find out some fun facts about him!
1. Yuvraj Singh Dhesi was born July 19, 1986.
2. Growing up in a wrestling family as the nephew of Stampede Wrestling legend Gama Singh, Dhesi began his professional wrestling career at the Martial Arts Fitness Center in Calgary, Alberta, training with Rick Bognar.
3. He debuted in Premier Martial Arts Wrestling (PMW) working as Raj Dhesi. He then went on to train with Bad News Allen and Gerry Morrow wrestling in a revived Stampede Wrestling, alongside fellow future WWE Superstars Natalya Neidhart, Tyson Kidd and Viktor.
4. As ‘Tiger’ Raj Singh, Dhesi also won various tag team championships in Stampede and in PWA, spending much of his early career teaming with his cousin Gama Singh Jr.; together known as the new ‘Karachi Vice’ and also as ‘Sikh & Destroy’.
5. In the Prairie Wrestling Alliance, he was the PWA Champion from 2008 until January 2010 and also spent time in Great North Wrestling (GNW); where he feuded with such wrestlers as Samoa Joe and Hannibal.
6. During his first stint in WWE, Mahal had a short-lived alliance with his storyline brother-in-law, The Great Khali.
7. Mahal was then mostly utilized as enhancement talent and would form 3MB, a trio who had rock star personas, with fellow lower card wrestlers, Heath Slater and Drew McIntyre.
8. After being released from WWE in the summer of 2014, he returned to the promotion two years later, improving his body condition and received a push after WrestleMania 33, culminating with a win over Randy Orton at Backlash in May 2017 for the WWE Championship, making him the 50th WWE Champion and the first wrestler of Indian descent to win the title.
9. Dhesi is of Indian Punjabi origin, and speaks Punjabi, Hindi, and English.
10. He is the nephew of wrestler Gama Singh; who is considered a legendary villain in the original Stampede Wrestling, wrestling around the globe and briefly for the WWE in the 1980’s.
11. Dhesi also holds a business degree in communications and culture from University of Calgary.
12. Member of the Legislative Assembly of Alberta for Calgary-Shaw Graham Sucha tabled three documents before the Assembly, formally congratulating Mahal for winning the WWE Championship.