Jimmy Walker is an American professional golfer who plays on the PGA Tour.
Let’s see some intriguing facts about him!
1. James William Walker was born January 16, 1979 in Oklahoma City.
2. Walker and his family later moved to Texas to the San Antonio area, and he graduated from Canyon High School in New Braunfels in 1997.
3. He played college golf at Baylor University in Waco and turned professional at age 22 in 2001.
4. Walker played on the Nationwide Tour full-time in 2003 and 2004.
5. In 2004 he won the first two professional events of his career at the BellSouth Panama Championship and the Chitimacha Louisiana Open.
6. Walker ended the 2004 season as the Nationwide Tour’s leading money winner and won Player of the Year honors, while in the process earning his PGA Tour card for the first time.
7. Walker only played in nine PGA Tour events in 2005 due to injury, making three cuts and a best finish of 17th at the MCI Heritage.
8. He played his first full season on the PGA Tour in 2006, where he played in 21 events.
9. He did not enjoy a very successful season, making nine cuts and recording only one top-25 finish.
10. Walker fared better in 2009, where he recorded his first two top-10 finishes on the PGA Tour, including a T5 at the Turning Stone Resort Championship.
11. Walker finished the 2009 season ranked 125th on the money list, securing the last available tour card for the next season.
12. In 2010, Walker made less than half of the cuts he played in, but had a T3 and T4 finish to boost his season’s placing. He finished 2010 ranked 103rd on the money list.
13. In 2011, Walker enjoyed his best season to that point, helped by three 4th/T4 finishes throughout the season.
14. He was 68th in the FedEx Cup standings and qualified for the third FedEx Cup playoff event, the BMW Championship, for the first time.
15. The 2014 season was the first to begin with six events in the fall of 2013.
16. In the first of these, Walker won his first PGA Tour event at the 2013 Frys.com Open, after nine years and 188 PGA Tour starts. He won by two strokes over Vijay Singh after shooting 62-66 over the weekend.
17. The win gave him an exemption into the Hyundai Tournament of Champions, and earned him his first trip to the Masters Tournament and a PGA Tour card until the end of 2016. Walker also entered the world’s top 50 for the first time.
18. At the 2016 PGA Championship at Baltusrol Golf Club, Walker shot a 65 in the first round to hold the lead by one stroke. This represented the first time that he had ever led a major in his career.
19. Walker is married to the former Erin Stiegemeier, whom he met while she served as a volunteer at a 2004 Nationwide Tour event.
20. His wife is a nationally ranked show jumper, and they have two sons.
21. Walker is also an avid astrophotographer; his photos have been featured on Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD).
22. His home golf course is Cordillera Ranch Golf Club in Boerne, Texas.