Devin Hester is an American football wide reciever and return specialist. Let’s see some amazing facts and trivi about him!
1.. H played college football at Miami, where he was the first player in the university’s recent history to play in all three phases of American football: offense, defense and special teams.
2. Originally drafted as a cornerback, Hester quickly made an impact as a kick returner, and later became one of the team’s starting wide receivers.
3 Hester holds the NFL record for most all-time return touchdowns (punt and kickoff combined) and most all-time punt return touchdowns.
4. He is widely regarded as one of the best return specialists in NFL history
5. Devin Hester was born to Juanita Brown and Lenorris Hester, Sr. in Riviera Beach, Florida.
6. His parents separated when he was a toddler. Before he became a teenager, his mother was severely injured in a car accident, while his father died of cancer two years later.
7. His step-father, Derrick Brown, and brother, Lenorris, Jr., helped Hester escape his depression and rebuild his life by introducing him to football.
8. He soon returned to his normal life and began to excel in sports and academics.
9. During his youth, Hester enjoyed following the Dallas Cowboys. He especially idolized Deion Sanders, Emmitt Smith and Michael Irvin. He was also a fan of the Chicago Bulls during the Michael Jordan and Phil Jackson era.
10. Fred Taylor of the University of Florida was Hester’s favorite athlete. In addition to football, he also enjoyed playing soccer and following baseball.
11. Devin Hester attended first Palm Beach Gardens High, then on to Suncoast High School, where he played football as a cornerback, wide receiver, return specialist, and running back.
12. He earned recognition from SuperPrep.com as the top high school prospect in Florida and Parade, who named Hester onto their All-American team.
13. Hester also participated in the 2002 CaliFlorida Bowl, where he returned a kick for an 80-yard touchdown.
14. His success prompted his teammates to nickname him “Sugar Foot.”
15.Considered a five-star recruit by Rivals.com, Hester was listed as the No. 2 cornerback in the nation in 2002.
16. After completing high school, Hester enrolled at the University of Miami, where he played for the Miami Hurricanes football team from 2003 to 2005.
17. As a sophomore in 2004, he earned national recognition as a kick returner after being named a first-team All-American by the Walter Camp Football Foundation and The Sporting News’.
18. His ability to thrust laterally and break away from pursuers made him one of the nation’s most dangerous return specialists.
19.During his freshman year, Hester returned an opening kick for a 98-yard touchdown against the Florida Gators. In a game against Duke in 2005, Hester broke six tackles while returning an 81-yard punt.
20. Ultimately, Hester completed his college career with a total of six touchdowns from kick returns, including one blocked field goal return.
21. He also scored one rushing and receiving touchdown and recorded five interceptions as a defensive back.
22. Devin Hester began his professional career in the National Football League with the Chicago Bears, who selected him in the second round of the 2006 NFL Draft.
23. The team originally drafted Hester as a cornerback, but they intended to play him as a return specialist, following the retirement of Jerry Azumah, and departure of Bobby Wade.
24. The team’s decision to draft Hester was initially criticized by fans and sports analysts, who believed the Bears should have spent their early picks on offensive prospects.
25. On September 4, 2016, Hester agreed to a one-year deal with the Baltimore Ravens.
26. Devin Hester appeared in 12 games for the Ravens, where he was used exclusively on special teams.
27. He recorded 466 punt return yards and 180 kick return yards but failed to return a touchdown during the 2016 season.
28. The Ravens released Hester on December 13.
29. On January 3, 2017, Hester signed with the Seattle Seahawks.
30. His height is 1,80 metres.