Denis Shapovalov is a Canadian professional tennis player.
Let’s find out some interesting facts about him!
1. Denis Shapovalov was born April 15, 1999 in Tel Aviv, Israel, the son of Tessa and Viktor Shapovalov.
2. His parents were Russian-Israeli citizens.
3. His father is Greek Orthodox Christian and his mother is Jewish.
4. Shapovalov has one sibling, his older brother Evgeniy.
5. The family moved from Israel to Canada before Denis’ first birthday.
6. He started to play tennis at the club his mother was coaching at when he was 5 years old and was coached by her and Adriano Fuorivia.
7. His mother Tessa opened her own tennis club in Vaughan, Ontario named TessaTennis to help give him a home base to train at and to teach the game to other juniors.
8. She is still coaching him along with Canada’s Davis Cup captain Martin Laurendeau.
9. In October 2013, Shapovalov won his first junior singles title at the ITF G5 in Burlington.
10. He captured his second singles title in April 2014 at the ITF G5 in Burlington.
11. In July 2014, Shapovalov won the singles and doubles titles at the ITF G4 in San José.
12. At the US Open in September 2015, he qualified in singles and made it to the third round for his second straight Grand Slam. In doubles, he won the title with compatriot Félix Auger-Aliassime.
13. In October 2015, Shapovalov and fellow Canadians Félix Auger-Aliassime and Benjamin Sigouin captured the first Junior Davis Cup title for Canada in its history.
14. At the French Open in May 2016, he advanced to the semifinals in singles and to the second round in doubles.
15. At the beginning of July 2016, he captured his first G1 singles title after winning in Roehampton.
16. A week later, Shapovalov became the third Canadian to win a junior Grand Slam singles title with a three-set victory over Alex De Minaur at the 2016 Wimbledon Championships. He also reached the doubles final with Félix Auger-Aliassime.
17. As a junior, he compiled a singles win/loss record of 86–32.
18. He reached a career high ATP singles ranking of No. 67 on August 14, 2017 and a career high ITF junior ranking of No. 2 on July 11, 2016.
19. Shapovalov won the 2016 Wimbledon junior singles title and the 2015 US Open junior doubles title with compatriot Félix Auger-Aliassime.
20. Shapovalov was a semifinalist at the 2017 Canadian Open beating Juan Martín del Potro and Rafael Nadal during his run.