Brandon Marshall is an American football wide receiver for the New York Giants of the National Football League (NFL).
Let’s see some fun facts about him!
1. Brandon Tyrone Marshall was born March 23, 1984 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and later lived in Georgia and Florida where he played high school football at Lake Howell High School.
2. Marshall was a letterman in basketball and track three times at Lake Howell.
3. He played both offense and defense, as he earned All-State honors and was named Seminole County Utility Player of the Year. In track Marshall competed as a jumper. As a senior, he won the Class 3A state triple jump championship, landing a personal-best jump of 14.81 meters, and also placed ninth in long jump, recording a jump of 6.88 meters.
4. As a top competitor in high jump, he cleared 1.98 meters at the 2002 FHSAA 3A District 7 Meet, placing second.
5. Marshall was a scholar athlete at the University of Central Florida, and was selected to the All-C-USA Team.
6. Marshall attended the University of Central Florida, where he played a total of 44 games (21 starts) at wide receiver for the UCF Knights football team. He collected 112 receptions, 1,674 receiving yards and 13 touchdowns in his collegiate career.
7. His best season came in 2005 as a senior. He played in 13 games and had career highs in receptions (74), receiving yards (1,195), and touchdowns (11). Marshall’s best career game came in the 2005 Hawaii Bowl, where he had 11 catches for 210 yards and three touchdowns.
8. He was named MVP of the game. For his efforts during the 2005 season, Marshall was selected to the All-C-USA second team.
9. Marshall also started at safety for seven games during the 2004 season due to injuries in UCF’s secondary. He made his first collegiate start at safety on October 4, 2004, against Buffalo.
10. He recorded four tackles, including half a sack. Marshall led his entire team in tackles (51) during the 2004 season.
11. He played college football at UCF, and was drafted by the Denver Broncos in the fourth round of the 2006 NFL Draft. Marshall has also played for the Miami Dolphins, Chicago Bears and New York Jets.
12. Marshall is known for his ability to break and dodge tackles.
13. He led all NFL wide receivers in yards after first contact for the 2007 NFL season. Regarding Marshall’s breakaway ability, cornerback Brandon Flowers said, “Brandon Marshall is a defensive lineman playing wide receiver.
14. He wants to inflict punishment on you. He wants you to try to tackle him so he can shove you off of him and get more yards.”
15. Cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha said Marshall is “the toughest guy to bring down, one-on-one.”
16. On December 13, 2009, Marshall set an NFL record for receptions in a game with 21.
17. He also is one of only six players in NFL history to catch at least 100 passes in three consecutive seasons.
18. After the 2016 season ended, Marshall requested to be released. On March 3, 2017, the Jets honored his request and he was released.
19. Marshall has been nicknamed “The Beast” during his NFL career.
20. Marshall enjoys restoring vintage automobiles.
21. He is a member of the Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity (initiated into the Lambda Omega Chapter) and does charity work with them.
22. He is involved in an ongoing effort to rebuild Larimer Park in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
23. He is married with two children.
24. On July 31, 2011, Marshall announced at a press conference that he had been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder (BPD) and that he hopes to spread awareness and understanding about the illness.