Basketball is a a sport that is well known in a lot of countries and it i is one of the most viewed sports in the world!
It is a sport that has a lot of fans all around the world and people play basketball either professionally or just for fun in courts!
These are some facts you should know if you really like basketball!
- The game was invented in 1891 by Dr. James Naismith!
- A soccer ball was originally used to play basketball!
- Dr. James Naismith invented the game when he was looking for ways to keep his gym class busy on a rainy day.
- Originally, two teams of 9 players played the game – the same as baseball- but later on the number of the players was reduced and it came to 5 players on each team!
- The backboard was invented, because at first basketball hoops were nailed to the mezzanine balcony of the court and spectators in the balcony continually interfered with shots!
- When the game was played at first, dribbling was not a large part !
- On August 5, 1976 the NBA was created!
- The Sacramento Kings are the oldest franchise in the NBA! The team was founded in 1923!
- The organization that governs basketball’s international competition is called FIBA!
- NBA players run as much as four miles during a game!
- The average NBA player can jump about 28 inches off the ground.
- College basketball is huge in the USA!
- In a professional leve, most male players are above 6 feet 3 inches (1.91 m) and most women above 5 feet 7 inches (1.70 m)!
- Muggsy Bogues at 5 feet 3 inches (1.60 m) is the shortest player ever to play in the NBA!
- There are principal basketball sports with variations on basketball including Wheelchair basketball, Water basketball, Beach basketball, Slamball, Streetball and Unicycle basketball!
- Basketball players used to play in the early 1900s, in cages of chicken wire and mesh so they didn’t fall in spectator seats.