Τhe World Cup 2018 is currently ongoing in Russia and the whole world is waiting to see which country is going to be crowned as the new World champion.
The World Cup 2018 started on the 14th of June and it is going to end on the 15th of July.
Two teams made to the finals: France and Croatia.
These are some facts you should find out about the World Cup 2018:
- The World Cup 2018 started in June,14 in Russia.
- Ιn Zürich on 2 December 2010, the 22-member FIFA Executive Committee voted for the country that would host the tournament. Russia won the right to host.
- For the first time in the history of the FIFA World Cup, all eligible nations – the 209 FIFA member associations minus automatically qualified hosts Russia – applied to enter the qualifying process.
- 32 nations qualified to play at the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
- On 1 December 2017 at 18:00 MSK at the State Kremlin Palace in Moscow, a draw was held and the 32 teams were drawn into 8 groups of 4.
- Russia renovated and built 12 stadiums.
- The World Cup 2018 is the most expensive World Cup in history. It’s estimated cost is over $14.2 billion.
- The 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia Volunteer Program received about 177,000 applications and engaged a total of 35,000 volunteers.
- Russian soprano Aida Garifullina and pop singer Robbie Williams sang”Angels” at the opening ceremony.
- On 28 October 2014 cosmonauts at the International Space Station revealed the tournaments logo.
- The official mascot for the tournament was unveiled 21 October 2016. Zabivaka—an anthropomorphic wolf dressed in the colours of the Russian national team became the mascot.
- On May, 25 the official song was released. It’s called “Live It Up”, and Will Smith, Nicky Jam and Era Istrefi sing it.
- Croatia competed in the semi-finals and won against Englad.
- France won in the semi-finals against Belgium.
- The world is waiting for the final match, were France and Croatia are going against each other and we are all waiting to see who will concer the World Cup 2018.