Stephen Hawking died the morning of Wednesday.
His children, Lucy, Robert and Timothy Hawking, shared a statement anouncing that their father had passed away peacefully in his house in Cambridge.
“We are deeply saddened that our beloved father passed away today. He was a great scientist and an extraordinary man whose work and legacy will live on for many years. His courage and persistence with his brilliance and humor inspired people across the world.He once said: ‘It would not be much of a universe if it wasn’t home to the people you love.’ We will miss him for ever.”
These are some facts you should know about Stephen Hawking!
1. He was born in 1942 on the 8th of January in Oxford!
2. He was British!
3. His parents, both attended Oxford University! His father studied medicine and his mother studied philosophy and politics!
4. He one of the most brilliant minds of the century but when it came to school he slacked a lot!
5. He joined the rowing team when he attended Oxford University!
6. At the age of 21 he was diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and doctors gave him a few years to live, but he managed to beat all odds!
7. One of Stephen Hawking’s greatest achievements was that he managed to create the theory that the universe has no boundaries in 1983.
8. He has been given numerous awards such as : Adams Prize (1966), Eddington Medal (1975), Albert Einstein Award (1978), RAS Gold Medal (1985), Dirac Medal (1987), Presidential Medal of Freedom (2009), Fundamental Physics Prize (2012), BBVA Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Award (2015) and others!
9. He was a children’s book author! And of course the books had to do with science!
10. He always believed in the possibility that aliens exist and in his speeches he warned people that if human kind contacts aliens, that will mean the end of human life as we know it!
11. Stephen Hawking was able in 2007 to experience zero-gravity and float out of his wheelchair because of the Zero Gravity Corp! When that happened he started doing flips and made funny jokes about the experience!
12. He passed away at the age of 79 on 14 March 2018!