Our brain is a brilliant mystery. It can help us to reach any peak, make our most cherished dreams come true, and somehow at the same time be our worst enemy. Yet, if we want it all, we should first understand the principles on which our brain works.
1. For our brain there is no difference between reality and imagination. Our brain reacts to every thought and cannot tell a fact from a fantasy. That’s why dreams are so vivid.
2. Mental work, although it trains the brain it doesn’t exhaust it. The feeling of brain fatigue arises because of our emotions. The composition of blood flowing through the brain during its active work remains unchanged.
3. Our brain mostly functions automatically. More than half of today’s thoughts are thoughts from yesterday. This is why it’s so difficult for pessimists to change their perception of the world.
4. We see what we’re thinking about. Any thoughts turn into life experiences.
5. Our brain needs training, just like our muscles. It needs learning, fresh air workouts, healthy eating, sound sleep, traveling to new places, new activities, making notes, dancing, and even playing Tetris are all useful for your brain.
6. Shutting down from time to time is vital. Don’t forget about active rest: for our brain, it’s the most useful kind of relaxation. Negative thoughts won’t block themselves out!
7. Our brain never rests. Even when we sleep, our brain continues to work hard. Moreover, its activity during sleep is even higher than during the day.
8. It’s alright to forget because this way we maintain the flexibility of our nervous system. To “save” new memories, our brain needs to get rid of old ones. The up side of that is that you can actually manage to completely forget bad experiences. The down side of that is that we don’t get to chose.
9. Our brain is insensitive to pain. The brain itself lacks of necessary receptors therefore not experiencing pain. Although this fact doesn’t apply to lots of blood vessels, nerves, and tissues that surround it.
10. We can change our brain. Any kind of activity makes our brain generate new neural connections. If we think we’re not able to achieve a promotion, this idea will only strengthen in our consciousness over time. But if you use the phrase “I’ll succeed,” the brain itself will give you opportunities to realize your goal.