1. Sia Kate Isobelle Furler was born on 18 December 1975.
2. She is an Australian singer-songwriter.
3. She was discovered by an Italian DJ while singing karaoke in a bar.
4. She started her career as a singer in the local Adelaide acid jazz band Crisp in the mid-1990s.
5. She also briefly attended the University of Adelaide.
6. In 1997, when Crisp disbanded, she released her debut studio album titled OnlySee on Flavoured Records in Australia.
7. She was featured on the Christina Aguilera song “Blank Page.” Following the event, she moved to London, England and provided lead vocals for British duo Zero 7.
8. In 2000, Sia signed to Sony Music’s sub-label Dance Pool and released her second studio album, Healing Is Difficult, the following year.
9. She married Erik Anders Lang in August 2014.
10. Displeased with the promotion of the record, she signed to Go! Beat and released her third studio album, Colour the Small One, in 2004.
11. She collaborated with Flo Rida on the song “Wild Ones.”
12. Dissatisfied with the project’s struggling to connect with a mainstream audience, Sia relocated to New York City in 2005 and began touring across the United States.
13. She won three ARIA Awards in 2010, including Best Independent Release, Best Pop Release, and Best Video.
14. Sia released her fourth and fifth studio releases, Some People Have Real Problems and We Are Born, in 2008 and 2010, respectively. In 2014, Sia released her sixth studio album, 1000 Forms of Fear, which was preceded by the top-ten single “Chandelier”.
15. On 29 January 2016, she released her seventh studio album This Is Acting.
16. Sia’s music incorporates hip hop, funk and soul as a base for her vocal styling.
17. In 2014, she was ranked the 97th richest Australian person under the age of 40 by BRW magazine, with a reported net worth of AU$20 million.
18. Her music has received an array of accolades, including ARIA Awards and MTV Music Awards.
19. She has Graves’ disease. Graves’ disease is an autoimmune disease that affects the thyroid, often enlarging it to twice its size and causing problems like muscle weakness, heart palpitations, irritability and lethargy. Sia confirmed the news on Twitter in 2010, after cancelling a series of concerts and appearances.
20. Sia, who is a vegan, participated in an advertisement for PETA Asia-Pacific, with her dog, Pantera, to encourage pet neutering.
21. Sia has also joined other publicly known figures for the “Oscar’s Law” campaign, in protest against large scale pet breeding. Other advocates include singers Jon Stevens, Paul Dempsey, Rachael Leahcar, and Missy Higgins.
22. She is also a supporter of the Beagle Freedom Project, performing “I’m in Here” live at the Beagle Freedom Project Gala on 9 September 2013.
23. Her father, Phil Colson, is a musician, and her mother, Loene Furler, is an art lecturer.
24. Sia is the niece of actor-singer Kevin Colson, and musician Colin Hay, a member of Australian group Men at Work.
25. Sia said that as a child, she imitated the performing style of Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder and Sting, who she counted as her early influences.
26. In the mid-1990s, Sia started a career as a singer in the local acid jazz band Crisp.
27. Sia collaborated with the band and contributed vocals to their two albums: Word and the Deal (1996) and Delerium (1997).
28. In 1997 Crisp disbanded, and Sia released her debut studio album entitled OnlySee on Flavoured Records in Australia. The album sold 1,200 copies.
29. She co-wrote Lea Michele’s Song “If You Say So”.
The song was a touching tribute to Lea’s late boyfriend Cory Monteith.
30. She’s worked with the biggest names in the world.
Jessie J, Celine Dion, Eminem, Christina Aguilera, Beyoncé, Katy Perry, Tegan and Sara, Jennifer Lopez, Kesha, Shakira, David Guetta and Rita Ora, just to name a few.
31. Beyoncé called her a genius. High praise coming from queen Bey. She told iTunes, “Sia is such a genius. The second I heard the song [“Pretty Hurts”] I’m like, I have to sing this song. I don’t care how hard I have to fight for the song, this is my song!”
32. Her Twitter feed is a news source unto itself. As well as posting cool shots of herself with stars like Gwen Stefani, Sia also treats her Twitter account like a personal news service, alerting fans to appearances, video and song releases, confirmation of collaborations and more. She’s also wickedly funny, which makes hers one of our favourite accounts to follow.