Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul is an upcoming 2017 feature film based on the book of the same name by Jeff Kinney. It is intended to be the fourth installment in the Diary of a Wimpy Kid film series and a sequel to Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days. Despite not being a reboot, the original cast members from the first three films (including Zachary Gordon and Robert Capron) will not be reprising their roles, making this the first film to feature an entirely new cast.
- Jeff Kinney expressed interest in making the film animated.
- Rowley will have a larger role in the film than in the book, in which he only appears in one flashback illustration.
- The short script shared for auditioners feature lines from both Hard Luck and The Long Haul.
- This movie uses plot elements from several Wimpy Kid books.
- This will be the first film with an entirely new cast. This is confirmed because all the confirmed cast members have not been in any other Diary of a Wimpy Kid movies.
- Tom Everett Scott plays Frank Heffley in the movie, this role was formerly held by Steve Zahn. Steve Zahn and Tom Everett Scott starred together in “That Thing You Do!” (1996).