1. Dakota was born in Austin, Texas, but was mostly raised in Aspen, Colorado.
2. In 1999, aged nine, she made her film debut in Crazy in Alabama where she and her half-sister, Stella Banderas, played daughters to their real-life mother. The film was directed by her stepfather, Antonio Banderas.
3. She is a Libra.
4. She became known for her supporting film roles on 21 Jump Street and The Social Network.
5. Her full name is Dakota Mayi Johnson.
6. She is the daughter of Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith and has six half siblings. On her mom’s side, Stella Banderas and Alexander Bauer, and on her father’s side, Jesse, Deacon, Jasper and Grace Johnson
7. She had a supporting role opposite Jason Segel in the 2012 comedy The Five-Year Engagement.
8. She doesn’t have a Facebook page. “I was on Facebook until I caught myself being a psycho stalker. That’s when I chose to stop.” Or Instagram.
9. She grew up in Colorado and attended Aspen Community School. She later attended Santa Catalina School in Monterey, California before transferring to the New Roads School in Santa Monica, California.
10. Her celebrity friends include Riley Keough (Elvis Presley’s grandaughter), Paris Hilton, model Toni Garrn, Rita Ora, Stella McCartney, Jaime King and Mary-Kate Olsen. She occasionally lunches with Benedict Cumberbatch too…
11. Her stepfather is Antonio Banderas.
12. In 2006, she became the first ever second-generation Miss Golden Globe in history. Each year, the title of Miss Golden Globe traditionally goes to the child of a celebrity (usually a girl); and the role involves assisting in the ceremony. Her mum previously had the honour in 1975.
13. Her grandmother is screen legend and Hitchcock favorite Tippi Hedren whose performance in “The Birds” made her a mega-star.
14. While taking a flight from Los Angeles to Vancover to film the movie, she was sat on a plane next to Seth Rogen who didn’t recognise her.
15. She became interested in modelling at age 12 after a photo shoot with other children of celebrities for Teen Vogue.
16. She was an avid dancer as a child.
17. Dakota really wanted to play Fifty Shades’ Anastasia Steel, begging her manager to help her get the role. She auditioned for it by reading a sexually explicit monologue from Ingmar Bergman’s Persona, which tells the sexual adventures of Nurse Alma on the beach with another women and two young boys.
18. She affectionately calls her grandmother Tippi Hedren, “Mormor” (a Swedish word for grandmother). Tippi’s father was of Swedish descent. Dakota’s other ancestry is English, Welsh, German, Norwegian, Scots-Irish (Northern Irish), Irish, Scottish, and distant Dutch.
19. Upon leaving school she signed with IMG models and has starred in campaigns for Mango and shot the “Rising Star” campaign for Australian fashion label Wish back in 2011.
20. Her on-screen sex scenes with Jamie Dornan in Fifty Shades Of Grey won’t be her first. She previously pretended to do the deed with Jason Segel in The Five-Year Engagement and she played Justin Timberlake’s Stanford bed-buddy in The Social Network (lucky her).
21. Nobody knew that she auditioned for the role of Anastasia Steele except for her (now ex-) boyfriend The 40-Year-Old Virgin actor Jordan Masterson. Dakota cried with happiness when she got the part. She told Vogue, “I wanted to be involved because it’s so different… and it’s an intense love story.”
22. Dakota told the Today Show that she’d rather her parents didn’t see the film, commenting, “if it were them doing the movie, I wouldn’t want to see that.”
23. Her mum, Melanie Griffiths, has said despite the steamy scenes in Fifty Shades Of Grey, she’s “thrilled” for her daughter. The proud mum tweeted her excitement back in 2013 saying: “My beautiful child Dakota has been chosen to play Anna Steele in 50 Shades!!! Look out world! Here she comes!!! #proudmama”.
24. Reflecting on her explicit scenes she commented; “I don’t have any problem doing anything… the secret is, I have no shame.”
25. She appears suspended from the ceiling in just her underwear in the video for The Weeknd’s Earned It which is to appear on the film’s official soundtrack.
26. She has in the past confessed that she prefers long-term relationships. Back in 2010 her boyfriend was Noah Gersh, a musician in a band called HoneyChild, before starting a long term relationship with Masterson. As of July 2014 she’s been dating Welsh Drowners-frontman Matthew Hitt.
27. Her car of choice is a sensible, “mom-style” Mercedes.
28. She finds Modern Family “hilarious”.
29. She’s naturally blonde.
30. Her favourite food to eat in front of the TV is tacos, ribs and Chinese food… all together.
31. Dakota identifies as a feminist and said to an American fashion magazine in 2014: “I think women should pursue whatever kind of relationship they want [that] makes them happy, and if that’s S&M, that’s great”.
32. She’s a huge fan of body art and has numerous tattoos. She has a large tattoo up the inside of her arm reading, “Acta Non Verba” which is Latin for “Deeds Not Words”. On her right foot she has a tattoo which says “Look At The Moon” surrounded by little stars. She has swallows on her right shoulder as well as another tattoo behind her right ear and on the back of her neck.
33. Her hidden talent is her ability to fire a gun “really well”.
34. She has specs of yellow in her eyes.
35. She appeared on the cover of US GLAMOUR in March 2013.
36. In 2015 she’s also set to star in Chloe and Theo, Black Mass, alongside Benedict Cumberbatch and Sienna Miller, and A Bigger Splash with Ralph Fiennes and Tilda Swinton.
37. She recently had a leading role in the romantic comedy How to Be Single (2016).
38. “Fifty Shades” isn’t her first leading role. Back in 2012, Dakota played a single mother with a 5-year-old daughter in the Fox show “Ben And Kate.”
39. She went to rehab for drug and alcohol addiction in 2007. Although her stint was brief, Dakota did complete a 30-day rehab program at the Visions Teen Treatment Center in Malibu in September of 2007.
40. In 2006, Johnson signed with IMG Models. Though acting is her primary work, she has since modeled for MANGO brand’s jeans line in 2009 and shot the “Rising Star” campaign for Australian fashion label Wish in 2011.