Tonight, Friday 31st of July will occur the natural phenomenon of Blue Moon! Learn here the 8 most interesting facts about it, according to distractify.com.
1. It won’t actually look blue.
The moon you will see will be big and full, but still grey and white like any other moon.
2. A “blue moon” is the term we when two full moons occur in the same calendar month.
Actually the second one is the blue one.
3. A two-moon month only occurs about once every 2,5 years, which is why we use the expression “Once in a blue moon” to describe something rare.
4. There are certain situations in which the moon DOES look blue.
A blue-colored moon sometimes happens because of particulate in the atmosphere from volcanic eruptions or forest fires, but this phenomenon is random, unlike a true blue moon.
5. Most years only have 12 full moons, with 1 appearing each month, but years with a blue moon have 13.
6. Friday’s 31st of July moon will be the first blue moon since August, 2012.
7. This week’s blue (but not really blue) moon will be setting in the western sky a little after 6:30 in the morning on Friday (EST), and will rise again Friday evening a little before 8:30 p.m.
8. Blue moons are the perfect time to take a midnight hike.
Many state and national parks offer after hours guided hikes during the blue moon, since its fullness provides ample light for navigating the trail.