Read here 40 interesting fun facts about Selena Gomez!
1. She is an only child and was born in Grand Prairie. Texas on July 22, 1992.
2. Selena’s favourite color is green.
3. She got her elementary education from Danny Jones Middle School located in Texas.
4. Selena is an only child.
5. She had two failed TV pilots. After being discovered by Disney Channel scouts in 2004, Gomez guest starred in The Suite Life of Zack & Cody, then had a recurring role alongside Miley Cyrus on Hannah Montana. After that, she filmed two spin-off pilots that were never picked up before landing the role of Alex Russo on Wizards of Waverly Place. The third time’s a charm!
6. Gomez was raised mainly be her mom, former stage actress Mandy Dawn Teefey. The talented star says she decided she wanted to become an actress after watching Teefey get ready for stage performances.
7. Selena’s full name is Selena Marie Gomez.
8. The former Disney star was named after Tejano singer Selena Quintanilla Perez, who was shot and killed in 1995. Gomez grew up listening to Selena’s music and her father even took her to the late star’s memorial statue in Texas. The budding star also liked Jennifer Lopez’s portrayal of Selena in the 1997 biopic. After watching it at the age of 5, Gomez apparently asked her mom for a rhinestone corset!
9. Gomez launched her first fragrance, Selena, in 2012. She said: “I describe it as yummy. It’s romantic. It’s not over-bearing. Simple! My mom legitimately likes it.” The actress also carefully picked out the tall bottle and its funky top.
1o. At 7 years old, Selena Gomez spent her days with Barney, the big purple dinosaur. “I was very shy when I was little,” she said in a 2008 interview. “I didn’t know what ‘camera right’ was. I didn’t know what blocking was. I learned everything from Barney.” That’s also where she met Demi Lovato.
11. Some of her nicknames include: Sel, Selly, Selenita and Conchita.
12. Gomez launched Dream Out Loud by Selena Gomez in 2010. She insisted on using eco-friendly materials and even said the “tags will all have some of my inspirational quotes on them. I’m just looking to send a good message.” You can still buy her “pretty, feminine, bohemian” styles at Kmart.
13. Her name “Selena” means Moon in Greek.
14. She has said she was bullied a lot in elementary and middle school. In an interview she said, “It makes you a stronger person to turn your cheek and go the other way.”
15. Selena Gomez is mother to six rescue dogs! Her collection includes: Willie, Wallace, Fina, Chip, Chazz, and Baylor. She actually adopted Baylor, an adorable husky mix, while on a trip to Canada with Bieber. “We went to a shelter just for fun … and we saw this adorable, adorable puppy,” she explained. “I literally felt like he said my name. So, I had to have him.”
16. Selena Gomez dated Nick Jonas in 2008, not long after he and Miley Cyrus broke up. This created some tension between the gals, if you believe the rumors. Gomez and Jonas lasted about a year before going their separate ways, and reportedly reunited briefly in 2010. Then Justin Bieber came along.
17. Selena Gomez just might have something in common with Snooki. She loves pickles! The starlet said in a past interview that she’d like to invent pickle-flavored chewing gum. Ick!
18. After months and months of denying their pancake dates were anything more than a meal between friends, Gomez and fellow teen star Justin Bieber made their official debut as a couple at the 2011 Vanity Fair Oscars afterparty. The new couple wore color-coordinated ensembles on the red carpet and caused quite a commotion.
19. Selena Gomez was the face of the Sears back to school ad campaign in 2009. She was featured in the retailer’s ads and commercials while wearing clothing that looked a little more like Avril Lavigne than Selena Gomez.
20. On top of starring in movies and making music and spending time with the Biebs, Gomez also gives back. She is the ambassador of DoSomething.org, advocates safe driving through State Farm, hosts an annual charity concert for UNICEF, and was named ambassador to the Ryan Seacrest Foundation in 2012.
21. She’s BFFs with Taylor Swift. Selena Gomez and Taylor Swift spend as much time together as their crazy schedules allow. The gals often do lunch and even bake cupcakes together! “We’ve been friends for four years and she has been through so much with me that I can say we’re almost sisters,” Swift said in a 2012 interview.
22. She’s the youngest UNICEF Ambassador in history. In August 2009, 17-year-old Gomez became the youngest UNICEF ambassador ever. She traveled to Ghana with the organization for her first field mission. In 2011, the actress traveled to Chile to meet families in one of the organization’s programs. “To witness first hand these families’ struggles, and also their hope and perseverance, was truly inspiring,” she said.
23. Gomez admitted she wasn’t a fan of magic nor the “Harry Potter” franchise. She said this before she got her big break in “The Wizards of Waverly Place.”
24. She loves eating pizza crust – it’s her favorite part of the pizza.
25. Gomez decided to put her music career on the back burner in early 2012, but she’s had a pretty successful run at pop stardom so far. She has three RIAA Platinum singles: “Naturally,” “Who Says,” and “Love You Like a Love Song.” She also has three Gold albums.
26. At 15, Gomez voiced 90 Whos in Horton Hears a Who, starring Jim Carrey and Steve Carrell. She played Carrell’s daughters in the 2008 animated flick, but never actually got to meet the actor. “It was kind of a bummer!” she said. “But at the same time, it was cool. I can see him and say ‘Hey, I played your daughter!'”
27. She earned a high school diploma through homeschooling in May 2010.
28. Selena Gomez could have joined Ashley Tisdale and Zac Efron in HSM3, but she passed. “High School Musical 3 is cute, and I think it would be a great opportunity for someone else. But I passed on it because I didn’t want to do it. I plan to take other roles in acting that are challenging for me. After Disney, I want to be taken seriously as an actress for many years,” she said in 2008.
29. Gomez spent weeks learning two different British accents for her 2011 role in Monte Carlo. The actress played Grace in the flick, a girl who gets mistaken for a socialite while vacationing in Paris. “Accent training was the hardest thing on top of learning lines,” she said.
30. Her favorite actress is Rachel McAdams.
31. She is a huge fan of Johnny Depp.
32. Her parents divorced when she was 5 years old.
33. Selena Gomez is a huge fan of Cheryl Cole and wishes to record a duet with her.
34. Selena’s favourite movie genre is horror.
35. Selena received a Mickey Mouse charm necklace as a gift from Disney Channel.
36. Selena’s favourite fruit is mango.
37. Selena loves to surf and skateboard.
38. For the soundtrack of her direct-to-DVD movie “Another Cinderella Story,” Gomez recorded three songs. The promo single “Tell Me Something I Don’t Know” became her first song to chart on the Billboard 100, peaking at #58.
39. For her band’s 2011 music video “Love You Like a Love Song”, Gomez had horses spray-painted pink. This led to accusations from PETA and singer Pink about the treatment of the animals.
40. Selena’s clothing line “Dream Out Loud” launched on 15th July 2010.